What a way to end one and start another - year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Of course each evening I check the eggs in the incubators.. especially when there are eggs that are getting close to hatching.

This is what I found this evening. These are from my big Northern female SONshine - I think she's beautiful -

a90710SONshineDIG.jpg

The above was from Sept. 7th.. below from tonight -

1st2010SONPip.jpg

A closer view - do you see what I see? -

1231a1st2010SONPip.jpg

GRIN.gif

NERD

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Awesome!! Terry, do you leave your eggs mostly above the vermiculite, like in the picture? I've been burying mine about halfway. Does it really matter if they're buried, or not? Thanks.

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Matt I don't think it would make a difference as long as the humidity is right. If you'll notice they are all touching each other - not sure if that matters. I do try to raise the humidity over each clutch at 90 days or so by folding a paper towel that has been moistened and laying it over the eggs. It should be just damp enough to cause a very slight "dew" on the eggs. I use a typical 'meat-baster' to wet the paper towel [ it should dry-out within 24 hrs ] every day.

That egg pipped at around 114 days which is earlier than the usual 120-125 days. Let's see how the other 5 do.

Terry K

And thanks to everyone.. let's all resolve to be healthier in 2011(?)!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tom said:
Somebody wants out. Any updates for us today?

Good Q? Tom!

It may take another day or 2 before anymore 'pipping'. I think they're in there testing the inside of the egg for the weakest spot to open next.

Will keep a daily update.. this is the time where patience is vital.....

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Day 2.. and right on schedule -

Day2PIPa-1.jpg

Look close new pips -

Day2PIPb.jpg

I think he's in there sideways.. not sure which way yet... probly SON-side up :p ( sorry 'bout that )

Terry K

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Lucky Duck! Can't wait to see more pics Terry!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Redfoot NERD said:
Matt I don't think it would make a difference as long as the humidity is right. If you'll notice they are all touching each other - not sure if that matters. I do try to raise the humidity over each clutch at 90 days or so by folding a paper towel that has been moistened and laying it over the eggs. It should be just damp enough to cause a very slight "dew" on the eggs. I use a typical 'meat-baster' to wet the paper towel [ it should dry-out within 24 hrs ] every day.

That egg pipped at around 114 days which is earlier than the usual 120-125 days. Let's see how the other 5 do.

Terry K

And thanks to everyone.. let's all resolve to be healthier in 2011(?)!!!

Hey, sorry for the late response. I was out at a lake in East Texas. Thanks for getting back with me on that. I just checked on my red-foot eggs tonight and I have 4 out of 6 that appear fertile. I have one hatchling in there with them that hatched out a little over a month ago. I'll post some pictures so you can tell me if you think that they're fertile, or not.

-Matt

moswen

5 Year Member
oooh how exciting!! you're bringing new life into the world, there's no greater gift on earth! happy new year haha!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
UPDATE - Jan. 4 - 10A

( I had a meeting to attend today @ 11A. so I wasn't able to post this a.m. ) I checked the incubator to see.. had a good idea what to expect -

10410A1.jpg

The egg acted like there was something alive in it! It expanded and contracted.. like something inside trying to get outside -

10410A2.jpg

36_12_1.gif
----- he doesn't have a head!!!

10410A3.jpg

More later...

Terry K

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
youtube was great, thanks for doing that. Isn't new life mind boggling? It's right side up, working it's legs, and it was just 2 cells 4 mos ago

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
And he's absorbing a small yolk-sac very well.

llamas55 the very "yolk" that he grew from is his nutrients for the next week or so.. no fluids no solid food! The first couple of weeks are the most important time of their lives.. at least I believe they are. It seems to make a difference. In other words - shipping a hatchling with any sign of yolk-sac or egg-tooth is too soon and has to attribute to the ailments so many contend with here on this forum.

I changed the paper towel and removed the tiny pieces of broken shell from his plastron -

10511RC.jpg

Will get "leg-shots".. and a good look at his head ASAP -

10511LC.jpg

Everybody seems to like those tiny little butts/tails -

10511Butt.jpg

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.