What age can you drop a tortoises humidity?

Curtis_

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hey guys, I have about a 6 month old Iberian Greek tortoise and I've had him since he was a hatchling. I've kept his humidity between 70-80 percent usually. In the morning it gets down to 55-60 before I mist it down. But anyways, it seems like lately my tortoise has perferred to be dry and no longer really enjoys being wet or misted. Is it ok to leave him dry throughout the day? And around what age do you think they are no longer considered hatchlings and can be kept at more normal humidity ranges? I will obviously soak him daily or at least every other day so does humidity really matter so much anymore?

Any any input is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Curtis_ and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Am not a tort expert, but please note that these cute little animals need humidity so as to avoid pyramiding. Will tag an expert for help.

@JoesMum your help would be highly appreciated here. Thank you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Curtis

With all things tort, it is size rather than age. Your tort needs to be well on the way to full grown before you risk dropping the humidity. When he/she is around the 5-6 inch mark which will probably take 4 years or so

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys, I have about a 6 month old Iberian Greek tortoise and I've had him since he was a hatchling. I've kept his humidity between 70-80 percent usually. In the morning it gets down to 55-60 before I mist it down. But anyways, it seems like lately my tortoise has perferred to be dry and no longer really enjoys being wet or misted. Is it ok to leave him dry throughout the day? And around what age do you think they are no longer considered hatchlings and can be kept at more normal humidity ranges? I will obviously soak him daily or at least every other day so does humidity really matter so much anymore?

Any any input is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

We use the high humidity for two main reasons. One is to help keep little babies hydrated longer, and the other is to prevent pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is still small with a lot of growing to do, I'd keep the humidity up for a while longer.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
When I posed this question a few months back, about ibera Greeks, the general consensus from some of the more senior members here was that at around 100g you can start paying less attention to humidity and begin to transition to a more adult set up.

Kaliman1962

My Ibera is 1 year & 2 months. weighs 310 grams!! she is growing like a weed. i have cut down the humidity, she has no pyramiding, friendly as can be. the best tortoise i owned.