What am I doing wrong with my baby Sulcuta?

Pixie22

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I’m worried about by baby sulcuta because he’s not growing. My pet store keeps telling me things that are contradicting to online. He’s at least a year and a half old, likely a little older, but he’s only 2.5 inches. My pet store keeps saying this is normal but what I’ve been reading online says otherwise. He’s currently in a 40 gallon tank indoors. Where I live the average humidity is like 10%, so that could be an issue. I just purchased some exoterra plantation soul which I’m hoping will help keep humidity up, he’s been on reptile carpet prior to this. I soak him every once in a while but I’m worried he’s still not getting the moisture he needs. He has lots of grass hay (Timothy and orchard grass) but I never see him eat it. He does eat Flukers small tortoise pellets and spring mix lettus though. He has a water dish that’s maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inches deep cause he’s so small and I don’t want him to drown, is this an ok size? He has a basking spot and foliage and a few other things to hide in when he wants too. Any advice greatly appreciated, I’m getting so much info that’s completely different from each other and I’m just wanting to do what’s best for my tortoise.

6C287F94-868D-463D-9683-8D881BCBC8EE.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I’m worried about by baby sulcuta because he’s not growing. My pet store keeps telling me things that are contradicting to online. He’s at least a year and a half old, likely a little older, but he’s only 2.5 inches. My pet store keeps saying this is normal but what I’ve been reading online says otherwise. He’s currently in a 40 gallon tank indoors. Where I live the average humidity is like 10%, so that could be an issue. I just purchased some exoterra plantation soul which I’m hoping will help keep humidity up, he’s been on reptile carpet prior to this. I soak him every once in a while but I’m worried he’s still not getting the moisture he needs. He has lots of grass hay (Timothy and orchard grass) but I never see him eat it. He does eat Flukers small tortoise pellets and spring mix lettus though. He has a water dish that’s maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inches deep cause he’s so small and I don’t want him to drown, is this an ok size? He has a basking spot and foliage and a few other things to hide in when he wants too. Any advice greatly appreciated, I’m getting so much info that’s completely different from each other and I’m just wanting to do what’s best for my tortoise.

Stop listening to your pet store, seriously, dont even ask them a question about your tort ever again, they are amongst the worst sources of information. This forum is the best source of information on torts anywere, if it contradicts what you are told by reliable members here, then it is very likely wrong. Just from your brief comment it is clear that you need to make major changes to your setup. Humidity is a critical requirement for this species, but it is not the only factor that is important.

Here is the care sheet, please read it carefully, throw out anything youve been told before and folllow every word of it. I dont own a sulcata but I have seen the results from owners who follow this program and they have thriving torts. I follow the care guides and experienced members here when I have questions about my Greek Tort and they have never let me down.

Read it, digest it, and come back with questions. In the meantime, if you want us to tear your setup apart and offer advice, post some pics of it and tell us what lights and heating method you are using, and what are you going to do with the tort as it gets bigger and requires a lot more space?

The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I know it's difficult to come on to TFO and be told everything you've done is incorrect, but unfortunately that's what happens all too often.

There is so much bad info on the internet. Add to that most vets, pet stores, and even some breeders don't have a clue how to properly keep a tortoise.

Yossarian hit the nail on the head...this really is the only reliable place to get up-to-date husbandry info.

Does the baby live alone in the tank? Do you have other torts?

Read that care sheet and come back with questions or concerns. If you need equipment we can help you with links to recommended products. And we always want to talk about tortoises!

We're going to get you both straightened out! And don't worry about the hay...he's too young to eat it yet.

You can start by soaking him every day, for 30 minutes. He will start trying to climb out of the soak...let him try. We call it the treadmill, and the exercise is good for him. He'll probably poop in the water, so that's one you don't have to find and pick up. Keep the water warm the whole time...don'y let it cool.

Get plenty of the Plantation Farm. You're going to want enough to make it 3-4 in deep through the whole enclosure.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello and welcome! Get your baby a better diet , constant heat. & humidity.... you’ll see a nice change. Read that care sheet linked above. If you baby is indeed a 1-1/2 years old, his current size is a bit frightening.. it’s sad how pet stores promotes this:-(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. After all this time, you've finally found the correct care and feeding info. I hope we can help. Questions are welcome.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ditto on everything everyone else has already stated. You received a lot of bad initial advice from your local pet store. Luckily for your tortoise (and you) you’ve found this TFO & the Sulcata Care guide. Read & implement it all. Lighting, substrate, humidity & soakings. Good luck. Ask lots more questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have read the info on this forum then things should have been changed up a lot sooner. Hes not growing because of poor care.
Stop listening to the pet store.
Get everything changed to the way the care sheets on this forum says to do. Get humidity up to 80% not just hope it gets there. Improve the diet, its listed in many areas that they need a wide variety of food items.
Get it all correct and he should start to grow.
Most that don't seen to grow is due to poor care either from the breeder or the owner. In your case it's likely all 3 the breeder, the store and you.
The breeder and store should know better but some breeders do some dont. Stores never know better.
You the owner followed what they told you, that's not your fault. Its owners fault when they don't do any searching or when they know better and dont do it.

Last edited:

Pixie22

Colorado
Thanks for the help everyone! I changed up some things (well, most things) so here’s a before and after pic. Also here’s a pic of the light I just switched him to, he was using just a normal indoor bulb before. Will this be ok? I’m putting glass on top of the tank too to help with humidity. Should I be worried about the wood or substrate molding?

Attachments

• E8D1AE66-1C43-4DE0-93E9-60E8E07B97BA.jpeg
    E8D1AE66-1C43-4DE0-93E9-60E8E07B97BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 6B867FE9-DAA4-4F3F-8050-77C84FD7E5CB.jpeg
    6B867FE9-DAA4-4F3F-8050-77C84FD7E5CB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 6494DE7A-B74F-4D7E-BD5A-3B282D36A3A5.jpeg
    6494DE7A-B74F-4D7E-BD5A-3B282D36A3A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 162E899D-9491-45F4-A148-F93609CF6125.jpeg
    162E899D-9491-45F4-A148-F93609CF6125.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58

Pixie22

Colorado
No I don’t have any, just the 1 light. I was looking through the forum and was wondering if a compact bulb for ubv is ok. Otherwise I do have a fixture with a new T10 bulb for reptiles I could use. I’d probably prefer to use a normal bulb that fits in those dome light holder things if that works as well though.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
No I don’t have any, just the 1 light. I was looking through the forum and was wondering if a compact bulb for ubv is ok. Otherwise I do have a fixture with a new T10 bulb for reptiles I could use. I’d probably prefer to use a normal bulb that fits in those dome light holder things if that works as well though.

CFL Bulbs are not ok for torts, they suck at making UVB and they cause eye problems. The care sheet I linked explains all of this.

The best bulbs are T5 fluorescent tubes.
Also, you can pack the coco down so
It’s a little firmer, your small tort will have an easier time walking around in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the help everyone! I changed up some things (well, most things) so here’s a before and after pic. Also here’s a pic of the light I just switched him to, he was using just a normal indoor bulb before. Will this be ok? I’m putting glass on top of the tank too to help with humidity. Should I be worried about the wood or substrate molding?
The normal indoor bulb was probably better. You don't want a spot bulb because they concentrate too much heat and IR-A into too small of an area. Again, stop listening to the pet store. They will continue to tell you the wrong info and sell you the wrong stuff.

Read the care sheet. It explains all the correct heating and lighting. You need a basking bulb, ambient heat, and ambient light. You'll also need UV over the colder months in your climate.

harrythetortoise

Virginia

Tom's care sheet recommends you use 65w incandescent flood bulb from a hardware store for basking light. You will also need CHE for night time, and for uvb use a tube type (T5 HO).