What am I looking at here?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
I gave my boys a good scrub today, a really good one. I noticed my one boy has this strange pattern in the layers of keratin.

His shell definitely appears to be sanded down. As I watch him get in and out of his hide box he is scratching the sides. Obviously it’s time for a different hide situation. I feel like that’s the cause of the worn down shell.

I’m wondering why he has this pattern under his shell and if it’s something to be concerned about?

Is this a sign of dehydration or lack of nutrients? I’ve seen the small circular growths in their scutes when they were younger but I’ve never seen this before.

His brother does not have any issues with his shell.

Background information: they are six years old, I’ve had them since hatchlings, they have never been in temperatures below 80°, they have a varied diet. They are outside summer eating weeds and plants. Winter they are indoors. We follow the red foot diet with small percentage protein, large amount of greens, some fruits. No previous health issues. I use only a CHE and in Arcadia forest dwellers T5HO lamp for UV.

1925B181-A3F8-414B-9D0E-04546DD41F23.jpeg358DDCDA-0958-419C-B8BD-45E9DF47A888.jpeg7F1DB2CD-58A9-4518-AA62-FBB0C221E4DB.jpeg6C822C25-A78A-48CC-BD73-64644CC1195A.jpeg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Its likely also due to the one trying to hump the other and fighting which legs will rub on the other as they try to climb each other and ram. 2 males should not be together unless they have a very large enclosure, seperate hides and dishes.

I can't help with the shell question.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Yes the mounting has started this Spring for sure. I’ve separated them once before last year during Spring since that when the mounting occurs. He must be really at it to impact his shell like that.?

Ok I’ll have to revert back to separating them again indoors. They have plenty of space outside, I don’t have to worry so much.

Boys.??‍♀️

Thank you @wellington , I had suspected that as well. I appreciate your input.?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It kind of looks like maybe somehow some moisture got under the top layer of keratin? In any case I don't think it's anything to worry about, and your guys look great!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you're referring to the darkish streaks, I can't help. But if you mean the little white lines that look like bubbles....