What are good species for southeast PA

Jake1363

Hello everyone I have a male Redfoot and have been thinking about starting my own little herd. One problem I keep thinking about is how hard it is to keep his humidity up out side (5-6 months) and inside (6-7months). I can manage it well with his enclosures atm. The problem would be doing it over a large scale required for say a male and 2-3 females. So I had an idea of maybe getting a different species of tortoise to make a herd out of. I just don't really know what species would be the best for my humidity and temps in the summer and spring without having to water it down a few times a day.
My average humidity in spring is around 76% to 54% mind you there is plenty of times were it will drop to 30-40% for a week or 2 at a time. I just want torts that can thrive in my area without having to constantly worry about adjusting things.
I would like a species the somewhere between 6- 14 inches. Nothing to small I have raccoons in the are and like to use big talk bushes for cover in my enclosure so I a cover is out of the question.

Jake1363

Btw I intend to keep my Redfoot and will not let it effect him in anyway. If I do end up going with this plan he will keep his current enclosures and I will make new indoor and outdoor ones for what ever species I end up getting.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm not an expert but it seems like it would be easier to get a species that hibernates so you don't have to worry about housing much in the winter.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Iam fine with housing asking as I can have it open air.
My humidity is lower than yours and I don't do anything to artificially raise it. My tortoise lives outside. If you can provide a pond or mudhole, that should be enough. My tortoise sits in a shallow depression under a bush in mud during the heat of the day. When they are babies, humidity is more important, and they should be housed indoors in a closed chamber.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Marginated tortoises are pretty robust and get around 14 inches. Can hibernate and handle a range of environments. With my research testudo species do well in the north and also Russians. Mine are outside from usually May thru October, indoors for 3 months and hibernating for 3 months.

Jake1363

My humidity is lower than yours and I don't do anything to artificially raise it. My tortoise lives outside. If you can provide a pond or mudhole, that should be enough. My tortoise sits in a shallow depression under a bush in mud during the heat of the day. When they are babies, humidity is more important, and they should be housed indoors in a closed chamber.
My male doesn't like to sit In mud or water much at all. He does like tunneling into damp Leaves tho. I have a mud area which is just a massive Adobe pot on it's side halfway sunk Into the ground also had a small pond with a ramp he just drank from it never went in really. Even with those he started wheezing a bit so I had to start hosing it down 3 times a day

Jake1363

Marginated tortoises are pretty robust and get around 14 inches. Can hibernate and handle a range of environments. With my research testudo species do well in the north and also Russians. Mine are outside from usually May thru October, indoors for 3 months and hibernating for 3 months.
I don't really want to have to hibernate. I actually like housing indoors just idk if I can do 3-4 full grown redfoots with the enclosure needs

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
I’m in NJ right on the border of PA. No issues with my Redfoots outside in the warm months. They have been doing great the five years I’ve had them. I occasionally spray them down but that’s more so the weeds and plants grow better in the enclosure than to raise their humidity. It can get pretty sticky that time of year in our area.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I'm in northern delaware and my sulcatas do good outside from mid April through October. Obviously bigger than your looking for. Leapords would do good but may be pushing your size limits.

Jake1363

I'm in northern delaware and my sulcatas do good outside from mid April through October. Obviously bigger than your looking for. Leapords would do good but may be pushing your size limits.
Yeah I was looking at some of the smaller leopard subspecies.