what are marginated tortoises like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alita

5 Year Member
Are they active / playful or passive ? I have two baby russians with whom I am soo in love and obsessed.
I know every tortoise is different, but generally speaking, it is said that russians make good pets, they are relatively easy to care for, they tolerate humans and even show some degree of tameness ...those kind of things.

So, I was wondering if you could describe your marginated tortoises' personality for me, and tell me whether they are difficult to raise when they are hatchlings and those kind of things. And also, whether or not I could have my russians together with a marginated in the future.

looking forward to your answers :)

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
I may not be very helpful but I got a marginated tortoise about a week ago and is lovely, from what I have read is they are very easy going and friendly tortoises but grow quite big.

As far as I am aware you shouldn't mix different species of tortoises but I do think the marginated tortoises are lovely x

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
The two species should not live together.
I have a marginated male and a russian female. My russian is very social and has a big personality. My marginated is very laid back and sweet. He is much more beautiful than the russian also. Guests who come over think the russian is cute. She will run over to see me in her enclosure but strangers don't get the same reaction from her. My marginated on the other hand loves everyone and is very social.

Another thing to note is that the diet i the same for both, thou my marginated seems to go through more cuttlebones.

alita

5 Year Member
oh, social, i like that. thank you for your answers. Okay then if I were to get one I will keep them in separe enclosures. How much can they grow and what do we know about life span?

alita

5 Year Member
Kerryann said:
The two species should not live together.
I have a marginated male and a russian female. My russian is very social and has a big personality. My marginated is very laid back and sweet. He is much more beautiful than the russian also. Guests who come over think the russian is cute. She will run over to see me in her enclosure but strangers don't get the same reaction from her. My marginated on the other hand loves everyone and is very social.

Another thing to note is that the diet i the same for both, thou my marginated seems to go through more cuttlebones.

is the one in your pic a marginated? I love that they are social. hiw big do they get and how old is yours?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mine are happy, friendly tortoises. Of course, like all tortoises, they have different personalities, some shy - some more outgoing, but in general they are outgoing. They do get fairly large (much larger than Russians) and will eventually need some good yard space.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Here is a pic of my two monkeys.
2012-11-02_18-30-19_187.jpg

Henry is about four years old and he is nine inches long.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Kerryann said:
Here is a pic of my two monkeys.

Henry is about four years old and he is nine inches long.

Gosh, your margie is BEAUTIFUL!!! ...or should I say HANDSOME?!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.