what are the best temps for leopards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydeon

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i've been reading leopard tortoise caresheet from different websites and the difference is HUGE!

some say it should be around 86f while the others are saying as high as 98f on the basking site.

some say it should be around 75f while the others are saying as high as 88f on the cooled site.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I trust ???

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
raydeon said:
i've been reading leopard tortoise caresheet from different websites and the difference is HUGE!
some say it should be around 86f while the others are saying as high as 98f on the basking site.
some say it should be around 75f while the others are saying as high as 88f on the cooled site.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I trust ???

Hi...Don't fret! Basicly they are all right. The basking temp under the basking light should be about 85-95 depending on how close your tort is to the light. And the cool end should be 70-80, again, depending on how far the tort is from the light. There isn't an exact temp.
It also depends on what the temp is of your house and what kind of enclosure your tort is in. It helps to get a couple of thermometers. Most of us use the temp gun or a digital with a probe at the end of a wire...Walmart has them (AccuRite brand) for $12 back by the ladders. You will leave the probe on the hot spot 45 minutes for an accurate temp.
If you have a large enclosure you might need 2 or 3 lights to get the temps you need. Make sure you put your UVB right beside the basking light where he spends the most of his time, so he gets benefit from both at the same time. Coil and compact UVB's have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems.
Also just like humans and mammals, tortoises are different. One might prefer it warmer or cooler than another. As long as your temp is in this range and your tort is eating & pottying OK, then you're OK. And don't forget to soak him til he is big enough to decide on his own when he wants to soak. I use a small paint roller pan with small rocks in the end of it so they can climb out. Each day I put fresh warm water in it & set them into it. Sometimes they will drink and sometimes they just walk back out. If someone seems a bit dehydrated, I put them in a deeper dish to soak so they can't get out for about 20 minutes.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.