What are the causes of pyramiding ? and the cure of it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamedx

5 Year Member
The questions says itself [/size]What are the causes of pyramiding ? and the cure of it ?[size=large]

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
This question comes up a few times a week now, and it always flares up a huge debate lol. No offense to you post but browse the sulcata and health section you will see post about pyramiding. Tom has a great thread on how to prevent pyramiding using a higher humidity technique that's proven to work. You will also see other opinions on the other threads. Good luck on your research

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Pyramiding is caused by several things, including humidity. Lack of Humidity, hydration, diet, exercise, natural sunlight, are the causes of pyramiding. Just depending on what species you have. It all depends on your husbandry...what type of tortoise do you have.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Pyramiding is the stacking of keratin in the scutes on the tortoises shell. It is called this because each "square"on the shell looks like a literal pyramid.
It is unnatural growth caused by insufficient hydration.

If your tortoise is properly hydrated it will growth correctly, smooth.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

mohamedx

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
This question comes up a few times a week now, and it always flares up a huge debate lol. No offense to you post but browse the sulcata and health section you will see post about pyramiding. Tom has a great thread on how to prevent pyramiding using a higher humidity technique that's proven to work. You will also see other opinions on the other threads. Good luck on your research
Sorry if I bothered you but I am new to the forum I just registered 5 days ago and didn't have enough time to explore it.I am reading Tom's thread now by the way,Thanks for the help :D

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Team Gomberg said:
Pyramiding is the stacking of keratin in the scutes on the tortoises shell. It is called this because each "square"on the shell looks like a literal pyramid.

Heather

How do they grow their "keratin" by hydration alone?

Team Gomberg said:

Heather

How do they grow their "keratin" by hydration alone?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
"How do they grow their "keratin" by hydration alone?"

From what I've inferred from reading a bunch of threads, it's not about growing keratin through hydration. It's more along the lines of hydration allowing the carapace to be more malleable and therefore allowing the new growth to "fuse" better with the old growth. That's just my take on it.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
The more I learn about tortoise care, the more I am amazed at how they are able to even survive at all in the wild. i say that tongue and cheek of course. It just seams they are so sensitive to so many variables its hard to believe they can live in the Sahara.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
WalterSulcata said:
The more I learn about tortoise care, the more I am amazed at how they are able to even survive at all in the wild. i say that tongue and cheek of course. It just seams they are so sensitive to so many variables its hard to believe they can live in the Sahara.

lol

Awesome.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: What are the causes of pyramiding ? and the cure of it ?

pfara said:
"How do they grow their "keratin" by hydration alone?"

From what I've inferred from reading a bunch of threads, it's not about growing keratin through hydration. It's more along the lines of hydration allowing the carapace to be more malleable and therefore allowing the new growth to "fuse" better with the old growth. That's just my take on it.

Thanks for adding to my quick answer. :)

Heather

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
High humidity ALONE will not guarantee a healthy tortoise, let alone a "wild" perfect shell....however, in my humble opinion, hydration is but a part of the pie....

As said already, diet, exercise and natural sun time all also play an invaluable part of that pie...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

WalterSulcata said:

I get what you are saying. I think of it more like this..

They are designed one way and when we put them into a box in our living room it usually has conditions they aren't designed to handle. In the wild they can choose their own micro climates. In a tank or zoo med house they can't unless we do specific things to offer that. In the wild they eat a variety. In the tank they can only eat what we toss to them. Etc. If a Redfoot needs humidity and I don't offer that, it's unnatural.

Im more surprised at how many survive in certain captive conditions.
I just saw a re posted ad of 2 hingbacks in a small aquatic tank. I can see those 2 being "very sensitive" to that variable.

Heather

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
One thing which I'm amazed hasn't been said yet-unless I'm blind lol- is that pyramiding cannot be cured, it will only be made better and less obvious with new smooth growth.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

FLINTUS said:
One thing which I'm amazed hasn't been said yet-unless I'm blind lol- is that pyramiding cannot be cured, it will only be made better and less obvious with new smooth growth.

This gets said so often...just maybe not yet on this thread.

Here's one thing I'm curious to see. A tortoise that was raised smooth in the beginning and then starts to pyramid later after moving outside full time. Anyone have one like that? Or know of any pictures?

Heather

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Status
Not open for further replies.