What are the odds of picking a male baby red foot at a pet store?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, I have purchased all 3 of my red foot tortoises from a reptile pet supply shop in the past 2-3 years & it appears most likely " not yet confirmed" all to be females. What are my odds of finding males in the bunch at stores? I suspect by watching & reading from social media breeders intentionally produce female tortoises for the tortoises pet trade markets is that a fact?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If there hatchlings then you've probably got a 50/50 chance of a male/female. When they're adults for sale it's actually usually harder to find a female.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All tortoises look female when hatchlings and even until they start to mature. The temp for sex incubating is not accurate. It's not likely you have all females.
I agree, 50/50 chance

willee638

HK
Thanks for your input, I have stopped trying to determine their sex at such early stage. 50/50 chances is much better than I would have estimated to be, I should be more concerned of having too many male tortoises in a group instead.

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
my first 8 redfoots turned out to be female. 4 were purchased at a pet shop, 4 came from Craigslist. all were between 2.5 and 3.5” at the time of purchase. After searching for three years, I was finally able to locate one young adult pair, thus finally gaining a male. I’m still looking for a second male.

willee638

HK
my first 8 redfoots turned out to be female. 4 were purchased at a pet shop, 4 came from Craigslist. all were between 2.5 and 3.5” at the time of purchase. After searching for three years, I was finally able to locate one young adult pair, thus finally gaining a male. I’m still looking for a second male.
Thank you for sharing this, yes from what I learned & believe female tortoises are intentionally being produced for easier management & they tend to co-exist more harmoniously together when acquired in pairs. I believe the majority of the arguments arises from having two or more males behaving aggressively towards each other & keepers advises against raising a pair of tortoises, my 3 torts shows no aggression, I am most probably in the same situation as yours as having a higher chance they're all females. It would be the reverse for a breeder to desire some males in their tortoises colony, I agree it isn't an exact science of manipulating the sexes ratios.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
The same happened to me! Lol My original group of 7 all turned out to be female leaving me to hunt for a male later on ? Crazy how that happens

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
I don’t believe temperature sexing is very accurate in the sense that I wouldn’t pay more for a tortoise because it was temperature sexed to be male or female but I do think breeders crank up those incubator temps for faster incubation which can lead to more females overall (but it’s no guarantee of gender).

willee638

HK
The demand for males & females torts depends on the purpose of different individual, I believe the male to females ratio isn't 50/50 as someone previously mentioned more like 65/35 in favor of females. Your chances are higher if you specify the sex you desire when ordering from a reputable breeder instead of trying your luck at a pet shop, in an entire batch at your local pet store there might not even be a single male tortoise amongst them.