What are the signs that your tortoise is dead?

mintgreeen

Location (City and/or State)
Lithuania
I never thought that would have to ask this question. At least not now. I'm pretty sure my tortoise is dead. Still, I would like to make sure before we bury her. My heart is breaking and I don't what I'm going to do without her.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
A rigid body is one. What happened to the tortoise, and what makes you think they’re dead?
I’m sorry for your loss, if it comes to that :(

Bambam1989

East Texas
You can try to extend a leg, if rigimortis has set in then the leg will be locked into place. If the leg stretches out and then retracts itself back in, your tort may be alive. If it doesn't then it is likely passed

mintgreeen

Lithuania
A rigid body is one. What happened to the tortoise, and what makes you think they’re dead?
I’m sorry for your loss, if it comes to that :(
She hasn't moved for several days now. Her eyes are sunken in and body so light like there's nothing but a shell. Legs where hanging. Her head in her shell like she's sleeping. We've tried soaking her and rising the temperature. Nothing helped. There was a bit of an odd smell in her tank. She doesn't react to anything.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
RIP little tortoise.
I am sorry for your loss. We have all had our experiences with this happening, especially us older ones here. Never easy.

Beanie23

Singapore
My hermann tortoise died a few days ago with all of those symptoms ;(. I'm here to ease my mind but I'm still heartbroken after only 4 years of keeping him