What are these fixtures called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Finalizing the design on my tortoise table and had some questions on the lights. The table is going to be a closed chamber, and all the lights are going to be built into the top or the upper part of the back. I'm looking at lights like these but I know they are mainly on tort tables in the uk. I was wondering what they are called so I can find something similar and get an idea on cost and how many watts they support etc. of if there is a way to mount my current dome lights inside? Maybe with the ceramic part on one side and dome on the other side so it doesn't take up too much space on the inside? The table is going to 18 inches tall and I don't want lights hanging in and taking up 7 inches of that space. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364603709.925624.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364603722.366951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I think ceramic 'keyless' fixtures are the most common for mounting inside enclosures

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What type of bulbs would you be using?

What are your requirements?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I just need them to support at least 75 watts. I was going to mount either two or three in the room depending on if I go with a Powersun or a strip UVB(which I already have a fixture for). So maybe 100w max for a basking bulb and CHE

They will need to heat a tortoise table that is 72 long, 18 heigh and 27 deep, fully enclosed.

In there* not room

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I searched sconces on Home Depots website and a few things may work but from everything I read is that the socket should be ceramic and none of them have ceramic sockets.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Why won't a keyless work? Knowing that might help give a better recommendation.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and look in person. They have basic ceramic fixtures that work great for like $2. I have dozens of them.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I think I will just go in and look. I'll have a worker help me figure out how to go about wiring them and stuff so I can plug them in.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
If you go to the electrical section, there'll be a rack of exterior hardware, such as waterproof outlet protectors. There will be a variety of mounting plates, meant for mounting flood lights on an exterior wall. The threading is universal, so there will be different fixed and swivel light sockets right there that you can chose from.

Also in that section will be several cords you can get that has a female plug on one side and stripped wires on the other. Just match up the colors on the socket to the plug and wirenut or shrink tube them together. Fairly easy.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Example of what the swivel stem looks like. Notice the threaded end.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202284...&N=5yc1vZbvlvZ12kx&R=202284532#specifications

Still looking for the plate...gimmie a minute

Ok, here's one version of the base, they also have round versions:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100172...1evgZ1z11epfZ1z11epf&R=100172362#.UVaFezcsATY

and pre-made sets:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202077...1evgZ1z11epfZ1z11epf&R=202077417#.UVaF5DcsATY

They'll have a few different options in stock. Good luck and just let me know if you have anymore questions, even if it's how to wire it :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Thank you a lot! I probably will have to take you up on that because I no electrical knowledge lol

Status
Not open for further replies.