What are these reptile laws coming to florida?

DovySim

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I was hoping to move to florida soon but I heard that there's some really big reptile laws coming in that will ban alot of reptiles. Are these laws likely to go through? And does anybody know what some of these banned reptiles are? I heard sulcata tortoises might be and I was really looking forward to keeping them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you use the search facility you may find something there.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
One of the members just started this thread

Last edited:

DovySim

Ireland
One of the members just started this tread
Oh wow. That's not good at all.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I live in south Florida
Most of the banned pets you can already obtain in my back yard.
Or yours when you move to Broward, Dade or Monroe counties.
All of the legislation has been on a too little too late basis thiught up by well meaning bureaucrats that have no idea what they are doing.....And much of it are rules without support or enforcement.
Politics here in south Florida are ridiculous
And we don't talk about politics here.

Last edited:

DovySim

Ireland
I live in south Florida
All of the legislation has been on a too little too late basis Mads up by well meaning bureaucrats that have no idea what they are doing.....And much of it are rules without support or enforcement.
They're destroying the reptiles hobby. Hopefully it dosent get any worse and hopefully they take away these stupid laws

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I live in south Florida
All of the legislation has been on a too little too late basis thiught up by well meaning bureaucrats that have no idea what they are doing.....And much of it are rules without support or enforcement.
I've seen a Florida anole in a Lowe's in Ohio. I wanted to catch the little one and put it in with my birds. They'd have gotten along famously. I didn't have something with me to catch him. He must have hitchhiked on the bromeliad he was on that was shipped here.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I've seen a Florida anole in a Lowe's in Ohio. I wanted to catch the little one and put it in with my birds. They'd have gotten along famously. I didn't have something with me to catch him. He must have hitchhiked on the bromeliad he was on that was shipped here.
Ironically the Anole you saw was more than likely an invasive species in Florida. The only native is the Green Anole, its range goes from Texas to the Carolinas. The Brown Anole is FAR more common now but it is originally from Cuba. It even hybridizes with the Green Anole.
Last time I was in Singapore there were Brown Anoles all over the place at Gardens by the Bay. I was told that they were introduced there with shipments of bromeliads that came from Florida.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I sold a classic Toyota over a year ago and had it trucked out to Montana.
It arrived with a house gecko frozen to the upper radiator tank

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ironically the Anole you saw was more than likely an invasive species in Florida. The only native is the Green Anole, its range goes from Texas to the Carolinas. The Brown Anole is FAR more common now but it is originally from Cuba. It even hybridizes with the Green Anole.
Last time I was in Singapore there were Brown Anoles all over the place at Gardens by the Bay. I was told that they were introduced there with shipments of bromeliads that came from Florida.
The one I saw was green. I was sad knowing I had to leave it there because I had nothing to put it in and besides that they drop their tail almost over nothing. I figure maybe it had more of a chance living silently in some unsuspecting person's house anyway...at least that's what I hope. Maybe I should have bought the plant.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I sold a classic Toyota over a year ago and had it trucked out to Montana.
It arrived with a house gecko frozen to the upper radiator tank
Yes. They blame the hobby of reptiles but chances are about the same for animals hitchhiking a ride in what they think is a safe warm place.