What are these white spots?

Patty P

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rockland County, NY
This morning I found Wally, my Pelusios nanus hatchling, with whitish stuff on the neck, near the eyes, and on the legs. Is this a fungus? The other hatchling does not have it.

Wally1.jpgWally2.jpgWally3.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Have you tried seeing if it'll scrub off with a toothbrush?

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
I just tried that now but this little fellow can pull his entire body into the shell so I couldn't really get to the neck and feet. He is 1.5 inches in length.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like fungus. You can add about a teaspoon of salt per gallon of water to kill it.

Reactions: Tom

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
that looks like a skin fungus, but I've never seen it on the head like that. It could be loose skin that is shedding, but looks more like fungus. Does I come off with a brushing with a toothbrush?

If it does not come off, you need to treat. This fungus is like a skin rot. It will destroy tissue and actually eat away at the limbs and tail and can kill. It is normally from water quality and/or chemistry that is not compatible with that species turtle. Be sure the water quality is good. Check on the genus Pelusios and see what water chemistry they do best in. I do not keep them, but I would imagine they need hard water with possibly a lower ph. But check that out. that is the main thing that triggers this. Diamond back terrapins get it frequently when kept in water that is not brackish, for example.

The best way I have found to treat is to give the turtle a bath in water with betadine. Put enough in to make the water a dark tea color. Let the turtle soak in that for about 30 minutes. The water should be deep enough to totally cover the turtle. Then dry dock the turtle in a container like a plastic shoe box with a moist towel. Dry dock for several hours then place back in its tank. That should clear it up, especially if caught early. You will see quick improvement over a few days.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Thank you all for your expertise and advice. Yvonne, I just added the aquarium salt.
Mark, the toothbrush idea is a bust as this little guy can draw in his entire body into the shell. But I am off to buy the betadine solution.

I ran a water test and found the pH to be about 8. The hardness tested off the charts at 180ppm. The ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were perfect. I will work on lowering the pH.

There isn't much literature on Pelusios nanus so I am using Pelusios castaneus info instead. I hope it is close enough.
Thank you again!

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
that looks like a skin fungus, but I've never seen it on the head like that. It could be loose skin that is shedding, but looks more like fungus. Does I come off with a brushing with a toothbrush?

If it does not come off, you need to treat. This fungus is like a skin rot. It will destroy tissue and actually eat away at the limbs and tail and can kill. It is normally from water quality and/or chemistry that is not compatible with that species turtle. Be sure the water quality is good. Check on the genus Pelusios and see what water chemistry they do best in. I do not keep them, but I would imagine they need hard water with possibly a lower ph. But check that out. that is the main thing that triggers this. Diamond back terrapins get it frequently when kept in water that is not brackish, for example.

The best way I have found to treat is to give the turtle a bath in water with betadine. Put enough in to make the water a dark tea color. Let the turtle soak in that for about 30 minutes. The water should be deep enough to totally cover the turtle. Then dry dock the turtle in a container like a plastic shoe box with a moist towel. Dry dock for several hours then place back in its tank. That should clear it up, especially if caught early. You will see quick improvement over a few days.
Mark,
Do I soak the turtle in the betadine and then dry dock just once or do I do this a few days in a row?
(Wally is soaking now as I type this.)