What are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My boss showed up to work trying to give away 2 turtles she doesn't want. I told her they probably need a bigger enclosure and she said, "No, they'll just grow bigger to fill it up."

So uhhh... what are they and how can they be properly kept?

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
They look like yellow belly sliders and yes they need a much bigger tank. At least a 20gallon to start off. With a submersable filter and heater.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's what I would say they are too. I do hope that's not the container they were kept in at home too. I hope the boss doesn't get any more animals.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
lori12386 said:
Here is one of my indoor tanks. Its a 30gallon.

Holy crap, it got big! My boss keeps insisting they'll get big if she gives them any more space. Is this true? I find that hard to believe, but she keeps saying "My friend kept these in a 50 gallon aquarium and they got a foot long! These little guys I had for 2 years and they're tiny because of the tank."

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
They have been in that for two years?! My turtle in the pic on the rock isnt even two and she is about 6". That tank only looks like maybe a gallon. They need to swim... If they remember how. I have two 30gallon tanks set up with two turtles in each. I also have a pond out back with six large turtles in it.
Talka said:
lori12386 said:

Holy crap, it got big! My boss keeps insisting they'll get big if she gives them any more space. Is this true? I find that hard to believe, but she keeps saying "My friend kept these in a 50 gallon aquarium and they got a foot long! These little guys I had for 2 years and they're tiny because of the tank."

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Talka said:
lori12386 said:

I have one Yellow Belly. S/he is about 12" long and full of personality.
They grow very well when properly taken care of. Mine, when I rescued her from an aquarium, was pretty small. I've had her for about 3 years, and she grew like a weed. ;)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
They are small not because of the tank but because of lack of UVB which leads to a vitamin d3 deficiency which in turn leads to a hypocalcimia. Thus to mbd. They are lucky to be alive if they are two years old most hatchlings die in about 6 months to a year without UVB. They are a very fast growing species and tank size has nothing to do with growth genetics, food supply (of appropriate type), temperature and UVB (lack of UVB) are the main controllers of growth in reptiles. Their diet also changes as they grow up. They start as carnivores, then become omnivores and adults are primarily herbivores. You need to have a UVB lamp, heat lamp, and basking platform (some where for them to get out of the water), you should also have a filter and provide shelter. I usually recommend zoomed natural pellets as a staple for sliders. As for substrate (stuff on the bottom) I use sand. I would also suggest using special blend and niteout 2 which are bacterial cultures that help maintain water quality by establishing your biological system like in a fish tank.

Utah Lynn said:
I have one Yellow Belly. S/he is about 12" long and full of personality.
They grow very well when properly taken care of. Mine, when I rescued her from an aquarium, was pretty small. I've had her for about 3 years, and she grew like a weed. ;)

If your slider is a foot long it is a female. She is average size.

Status
Not open for further replies.