what are we really doin here

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
I take great offense too the fact that someone could post a thread on this forum("expert information and advice")that displays a video of a person treating a turtle like a toy,lets make it do stuff people will watch.if you are into that there ars many places for it,if this is one of those places im in the wrong place.heres a link for ya.what kinda paint should i use too paint my box turtle?im thinking oil base it i'll last longer.i saw a post where everyone was offended by a guy who turned his sulcata on his back and teased it with food,that wasn't a good trick,the forum didnt like it.strap a cool pix too a turtle though an the crowd goes wild!they wouldn't sell cigarettes if people didn't buy them an people wouldnt mistreat animals so much if we didn't watch it on u tube.its supply and demand.everyone who commented on the turtle cam thread,watched it.boosting its hit count,making it popular,wonder what can be done too an animal next too top that.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
francis.jpg

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Shelly said:

(without entering discussion or stating my opinion on the matter)

That is the best reply to a post I have ever seen!
I hit my head when I fell out of my chair laughing:)

John

5 Year Member
thats an army dog an i hate army dogs!!i can't talk no more its tortoise dress up time. semper fi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, John:

I understand that you were offended by the video of the turtle with a video cam taped onto his back. I didn't like it either. But we still have free speech here in America. Some of the folks who watched the video didn't like it either, but then again, some of them did. We are not advocating animal cruelty. I don't really believe that the camera strapped onto the turtle was harmful or cruel. Scientists do it all the time to sea turtles and other animals. There's no harm coming to the turtle. I don't think anyone who comes on the forum and looks at that thread would think that we are advocating animal cruelty.

This is what makes our forum so good, in my opinion. We can all voice our opinions without the fear of anyone coming down on us. I don't like the video, but I think the OP (original poster) was perfectly within his rights to post it here. As you are within your rights to post things you find interesting.

John

5 Year Member
I hear yor point yvonne but reptiles are not dogs or cats or monkeys, the mere fact that we keep them at all is tramatic too them im sure.when i was 16 a lotta kids thought is was cool too blow pot smoke in box turtles faces and then put them upside down.bet that would be a good u tube video.most people on this forum seem interested in the care and protection of chelonians.too have this posted and members say it is cool is not a good representation of what this forum claims too be.im all for free speech gut theres a time and place for everything.and no disrepect too you but you can not possibly say what any person might do or think,no one can.i didn't mean too implie that the forum was advocating animal cruelty,but i will say the people who think the video is cool are.like i said what will be the next trick.one guy said its no different than what scientists do.are you kidding me.i think alot of people keep these animals for all the wrong reasons,just my opinion who am i too say,i mean maybe someday ill be a god and just pluck people from there houses and make them do tricks for me. make me laugh jester

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
The video was not that bad the turtle was in the pool less than a minute as for it being stressed out it looked like it just wanted to get in the water don't take me the wrong way I can not stand people that hurt animal's but lighting up it was a harmless video:)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I think there is cruel and just plain dumb. I don't think it was cruel but I would not do it to my torts. The thing that worried me was the pool chemicals and the dog. Some videos are harmless and just plain funny like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R3BYCT5oWw Just my opinion.

John

5 Year Member
at the end of the day,a person who really cared for these animals would not have the erge too make them perform tricks or stunts.this video and all like it represent the popular human misconception that we are so much bigger than nature.i do not agree with the pet trade,if it did not exsist and i was givin the chance too take something from its home and cage it for my enjoyment i would not.all my life ive hunted reptiles and studied them in their enviroment when i was a child i brought them home,that was a long time ago.i havnt taken anything from nature in twenty years.the animals i keep come strickly from the pet trade,i do not keep them for my pleasure,as much as i keep them too provide a decent life for them irespect them and they facinate me.i do not name them,i do not paint them,i do not dress them up,and i dont make videos of them doing silly stuff.i am happy that i am able too posses them,but it is unfortunate that i am.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Not sure how you can hate that video and post pictures of your snakes eating mice...

I know they have to eat and I dont have to like it, but I dont care to see it posted here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That same video was posted several months ago and it started a similar discussion then. Squamata, why do you have tortoises? What is your reason or purpose? I would go so far as to say that unless you are a professional in an animal facility trying to breed a critically endangered species, and save it from extinction, that we all keep them for entertainment. I do. I keep them for my own enjoyment, education, and entertainment. I still have a very big responsibility to care for them properly, but in essence, they ARE for my entertainment. I don't NEED them. I just want them.

That turtle was not harmed in any way and appeared to be very healthy, active and well cared for, to me. He was able to exercise and run around the back yard. He was able to stretch his legs and get some sunshine too. I did find the video entertaining and I actually thought it would be kinda fun and educational to stick a camera like that on one of my big sulcatas while he wanders around the ranch, just to see what he does from his point of view. I might even learn something from it that would help me care for them better.

I see a big difference between that and painting one or intentionally flipping one. Maybe you don't... Really, I think there is nothing wrong with having some fun with our animals, as long as we are not harming them or overly stressing them out.

John

5 Year Member
i have them because i can but i wouldn't if it meant takin them from their home,i don't play with them. and my enjoyment comes from knowing they are takin care of.i don't see a difference, its not the video itself its the image it portays,this is the same as when i first cameon the forum and said i didnt like the pirog book and everyone gasped and then shunned me. one of the reasons i dont like his book is. under diet there are two pictures one shows a strawberry being offered the other shows bok=choy and tomatoes too a novice and maybe all a picture is worth a thousand words.why would u demonstrate the wrong thing,when u can teach the right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
squamata said:
i have them because i can but i wouldn't if it meant takin them from their home,i don't play with them. and my enjoyment comes from knowing they are takin care of.i don't see a difference, its not the video itself its the image it portays,this is the same as when i first cameon the forum and said i didnt like the pirog book and everyone gasped and then shunned me. one of the reasons i dont like his book is. under diet there are two pictures one shows a strawberry being offered the other shows bok=choy and tomatoes too a novice and maybe all a picture is worth a thousand words.why would u demonstrate the wrong thing,when u can teach the right?

Good point about the food pics in the book. I often think the same thing when I see things like that. I still don't have a problem with that camera on the RES, and I still DO agree with you in not liking the other examples you listed.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree with Laura. I do not understand how you can start a thread about this video (I did not like it either and I found it cruel) but you can show plenty of pics of your snake eating. I know they have to eat and everything but showing plenty of pics of that.... Hmm I do not know!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't buy the "Captive Bred" argument. They were ALL taken from the wild at some point. Just because it wasn't your hand that plucked the wild tortoise (or YOUR tortoises parents) out from under a bush in the wild doesn't mean you are not responsible for it having happened. You are still supporting it and rewarding the people who DID do it. I don't have a problem with it as long as it is done humanely and not overly depleting them from the wild.

John

5 Year Member
snakes eating is nature a turtle running around with a camera on its back diving in a pool is not.and the first time that turtle went up for air he was lifted watch the video and pay attention

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For Laura and Isa, I don't equate a snake eating with sticking a camera on a RES for entertainment. Snakes gotta eat, even though you don't wanna see it. RES don't NEED to run around with cameras on their backs.

I'm just sayin'... two different things.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Ben3233 said:
Missy said:
I think there is cruel and just plain dumb. I don't think it was cruel but I would not do it to my torts. The thing that worried me was the pool chemicals and the dog. Some videos are harmless and just plain funny like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R3BYCT5oWw Just my opinion.

Haha missy! That's one of a horny tortoise we got there lol.

Has for being a cruelty, personally, I don't think it was a big show of how animal cruelty is. I wouldn't do the same thing, but I don't have anything against having some fun with our animal. The animal shown didn't seems to suffer from high stress, he was just walking with a small weight on him, running throught the garden, see a dog, hide and run into a big pool (don't know if it was chlorine free or not).

However, we could debate all years long about if it's cruel or not. Some people think that keeping an animal caged is cruel, other think that some minimal cages size should be respected, some have different dimension. It's just relative to each person. Some think it's cruel some don't and I don't think that people will see the forum as a bad one, just because someone post a video (didn't even record by himself) of a tortoise having a camera on his back.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.