What are you paying for HOME OWNERS insurance?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Curious to know if it's just south Florida that has gone insane.
I have a very small house. Cement block construction with full impact windows and doors and pretty run of the mill coverage. My new premium for the year is $7,950,(before my new windows and doors are factored in)
UNIVERSAL PROPERTY AND CASUALTY insurance.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a very small house. Cement block construction with full impact windows and doors and pretty run of the mill coverage. My new premium for the year is $7,950,(before my new windows and doors are factored in)
If you or your parents or other close relatives were in any of the the US armed forces, you should be eligible to join USAA. They have very good rates, plus you get a "dividend" back each year in December from unused premium dollars. They also give back some of your premium money in the form of a "senior bonus" if you are over 65.

Between the two yearly rebates, I have gotten back $1K to $1500 each year for a number of years now.

Not bad, considering my homeowner's premium this year is just under $1800 and values my house at $589K.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is it because of the hurricanes?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is it because of the hurricanes?
Yeah
The hurricane policy puts it over the top.
But I figured other states have fires and earthquakes etc...
And I also have a separate flood policy

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well damn.
All of south Florida's hurricane rates went up 40% this year even though we haven't had anything over a cat 1 storm hit us in about ten years.
I haven't filed a claim since my roof blew apart in Hurricane Wilma.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you or your parents or other close relatives were in any of the the US armed forces, you should be eligible to join USAA. They have very good rates, plus you get a "dividend" back each year in December from unused premium dollars. They also give back some of your premium money in the form of a "senior bonus" if you are over 65.

Between the two yearly rebates, I have gotten back $1K to $1500 each year for a number of years now.

Not bad, considering my homeowner's premium this year is just under $1800 and values my house at $589K.
My dad was in the Navy.
I'll look into that.
My house is worth just far less than yours. So that's not it.
I think Florida is trying to corral everyone into buying into the government run CITIZENS insurance group.
A lot of private carriers went out of business and the rest are pricing themselves out of existence

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
After my final inspection, my premium should go down into the 58ish hundred dollar range.
But it was $4,600 last year

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My dad was in the Navy.
I'll look into that.
Zillo says my house is worth just 360k.
Far less than yours. So that's not it.
I think Florida is trying to corral everyone into buying into the government run CITIZENS insurance group.
A lot of private carriers went out of business and the rest are pricing themselves out of existence
I heard there are very few insurance companies that are left in FL. I don't know how this can be allowed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My dad was in the Navy.
I'll look into that.
Zillo says my house is worth just 360k.
Far less than yours. So that's not it.
I looked into USAA, hub was a Marine. They weren't cheaper for us. In fact about 700 more. They valued my house correctly, but I have coverage for less value, as I wouldn't build a second floor if the house were to burn.
In Chicago we don't really get anything along the lines of home destroying storms/tornadoes like the outlying burbs do.
A tree may fall from a storm or one might get a fire. I have no large trees and hopefully never have a fire. Did that at my old place with my garage burning. Some idiot put something hot in the garbage can.
Good luck with getting it lowered.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I heard there are very few insurance companies that are left in FL. I don't know how this can be allowed.
I'm sure a lot of them started pulling out after Catrina.Too much risk I suppose. The decent ones that remain will charge out the arse.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We've had a few really special governors here over the years. Stealing money and propping up businesses that they have their fingers in.
I don't want to get overly political