What are you reading??

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
Ok, I'll go…I'm currently reading the "Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov. I'm in the "Foundations Edge" book. I've read this group of books some 30 years ago, while living in a cabin with no electric power, or phone,(not available out there) and no running water. If you've never read Asimov, do so. He was simply an amazing man. And very well educated as well. Next up for me will be his "Robot" series.
Never managed to get into the Foundation series but I grew up reading the Robot books, they're awesome.

Prairie Mom

I don't "read" books very often (terrible confession for someone who works in a library) but I listen to audio books a lot. It means I can knit or spin or do the really routine stuff at work and still get through some books. I listened to Station Eleven last year and really liked it. It's more relationship-driven than most apocalypse books but low key and just very well written.
Currently I'm on book...8, I think? Of the Dresden Files. The audio books are read by James Marsters from Buffy and he's excellent. The quality of narration really can make or break an audiobook. I love The Night Circus but I hate the audiobook version!
In my audiobook library I have quite a bit of Terry Pratchett, Game of Thrones, Welcome to Night Vale, Swan Song (a good one for fans of apocalypses), a bit of Patrick Rothfuss, some Alastair Reynolds, some China Mieville, 14 by Peter Clines (great fun!), the Locke Lamora books, Wool /Shift/Dust by Hugh Howey, Weaveworld, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell...... And of course some Neil Gaiman. So basically sci fi and fantasy, especially modern/urban fantasy - but only the well written stuff. No Twilight here!

I have a few friends that do audio books like you. It makes sense to be able to multi-task, I just usually can't seem to stay focused on the material or I get distracted by the way the actor delivers the story. There are some young children's books that we'll put on for the kids that are simple and really well done and I'll always make an exception for Harry Potter on Audio--those are so fabulous!

Glad to hear Station Eleven was good. I'm always on the look out for sci-fi type books that non-sci fi readers may enjoy for my book group. I haven't heard of the Dresden files, but know James Marsters.--Sounds interesting! I'll have to check those out! You name a few others that I'll have to look at! ...Thank you for the many suggestions!

I think you're the only other person I've met that has read(listened to) "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel." -I can't imagine listening to that on Audio!! -Holy Cow! I have mixed feelings about how it ended. I'd like a re-read, but it is such a long one. If you don't have the actual book, You SHOULD, just because it looks very pretty on a book shelf:) I also love Neil Gaiman. I have a couple signed first editions I'll never part with. I really enjoy "Neverwhere" and "Anansi Boys."

Prairie Mom

Ok, I'll go…I'm currently reading the "Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov. I'm in the "Foundations Edge" book. I've read this group of books some 30 years ago, while living in a cabin with no electric power, or phone,(not available out there) and no running water. If you've never read Asimov, do so. He was simply an amazing man. And very well educated as well. Next up for me will be his "Robot" series.
OHHH!!! Fantastic! I love Asimov. I also really loved the Foundation series. Although, I haven't read them for several decades.
hmm....now that you'll be delving into the Robots, it really makes me want to do a an Asimov marathon too!!! :D Very Cool!

Prairie Mom

So, are any of you lovely people interested in experimenting with a group read?? Sounds like @Foursteels may be game. @jaizei kind of brought the whole thing about, but haven't heard from him in a bit. We could also just post whatever we happen to read. Thoughts??

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
I have a few friends that do audio books like you. It makes sense to be able to multi-task, I just usually can't seem to stay focused on the material or I get distracted by the way the actor delivers the story. There are some young children's books that we'll put on for the kids that are simple and really well done and I'll always make an exception for Harry Potter on Audio--those are so fabulous!

Glad to hear Station Eleven was good. I'm always on the look out for sci-fi type books that non-sci fi readers may enjoy for my book group. I haven't heard of the Dresden files, but know James Marsters.--Sounds interesting! I'll have to check those out! You name a few others that I'll have to look at! ...Thank you for the many suggestions!

I think you're the only other person I've met that has read (listened to) "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel." -I can't imagine listening to that on Audio!! -Holy Cow! I have mixed feelings about how it ended. I'd like a re-read, but it is such a long one. If you don't have the actual book, You SHOULD, just because it looks very pretty on a book shelf:) I also love Neil Gaiman. I have a couple signed first editions I'll never part with. I really enjoy "Neverwhere" and "Anansi Boys."
Oh I have the physical copy of Jonathan Strange as well. And I recently got the dvd of the miniseries, but I haven't finished watching it....yet.
The Dresden Files are kind of grownup noir Harry Potter with sex. Harry Dresden is a wizard who lives in Chicago and works as a private investigator. The first Harry Dresden book came out 3 years after the first Harry Potter and there are some definite parallels between them in terms of the main character but the Dresden files are more adult. Also they make me laugh out loud and snort a lot coz Harry is a total wiseass.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm hooked in with a daily email book discount dealio. Every morning I get an email containing 6 or so books from subject material I've defined ranging in price from free to $1.99. The one or ones you like, you download to your kindle device or iBooks. Check it out. Yvonne G reads a book a day and she enjoys it.

https://www.bookbub.com/home/

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I belong to/host a book group where I live. The book for the month rotates among the membership. We don't always pick winners. We often pick books none of us have read, but are curious about. It can be pretty hit and miss, but I still enjoy meeting together and discussing them regardless of how thrilled I am about the book choice.

In addition to my book club reading, I went ahead and jotted down some books that I want to read. There is a lot of sci fi type stuff, because we don't often read that in my book group, but there is also regular fiction, mystery, and supernatural/horror as well.

Has anyone read any of these or do you have any interest in these? I'm unfamiliar with most of them and won't guarantee content, but this could be fun:) ???

Want to read one with me and we post about it?

-"Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel -Sounds like a really interesting post- apocalyptic novel. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20170404-station-eleven

-"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins -Supposedly a good Psychological thriller. I read a review once that made me think that you learn the main character is already dead as the book opens. -Not sure if this is accurate, but sounds intriguing. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22557272-the-girl-on-the-train

-"Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson - God-like people suddenly become like Lepers from some mysterious affliction and are exiled in a prison city. The story follows a Prince who is afflicted and sent into the city run by sick and suffering thugs as well as the story of his fiance' outside of the city walls.Those who are afflicted are dressed in their burial shrouds and sent into the city, while the outside world has their funeral. I remember really liking this book, but would like a reread. This was written as the author's Masters' thesis when he graduated and then became a big-time writer.

-"The Martian" by Andy Weir - Heard the book was really good. The movie looks really good and I'll be renting it soon.

-"The Rent Collector" by Camron Wright -Heard it was good, but haven't read it. It's set in Cambodia and involves a group of people who live and make a living from recyclables at a dumping ground. Heard the story was really gripping and an uplifting read. May have received an award of some kind, but I'm not sure.

-"The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson -it's been years since I read it and would like a reread. My husband teaches this in a literature class regarding supernatural/horror lit. This is the same author who wrote the short story "The Lottery."

-"The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller - Sounds like it could be interesting. Here's a summary: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13330761-the-dog-stars?from_search=true&search_version=service

-"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Phillip K ****. -I haven't read any Phillip K. **** since my teens and would be interested to see what I think of his writing now. This is the story that inspired the movie "Blade Runner." No idea how the book is, but I know this is an interesting author.

-I also just finished the first one in the Young Adult "Mazerunner" series and am about to start "The Scortch Trials."
I read Girl on a Train. I thought it was good....got a little crazy towards the end but it was enjoyable.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm hooked in with a daily email book discount dealio. Every morning I get an email containing 6 or so books from subject material I've defined ranging in price from free to $1.99. The one or ones you like, you download to your kindle device or iBooks. Check it out. Yvonne G reads a book a day and she enjoys it.

https://www.bookbub.com/home/

Thanks to this and my indiscriminate reading tastes, I add at least 3 books to my never-ending queue daily.

Prairie Mom

I read Girl on a Train. I thought it was good....got a little crazy towards the end but it was enjoyable.
Awesome!!! Thanks for the review. I have a copy in my possession and will start it shortly:) I'm curious about how it gets "crazy" toward the end??? We'll see...:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this feels like a trick question to me

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't "read" books very often (terrible confession for someone who works in a library) but I listen to audio books a lot. It means I can knit or spin or do the really routine stuff at work and still get through some books. I listened to Station Eleven last year and really liked it. It's more relationship-driven than most apocalypse books but low key and just very well written.
Currently I'm on book...8, I think? Of the Dresden Files. The audio books are read by James Marsters from Buffy and he's excellent. The quality of narration really can make or break an audiobook. I love The Night Circus but I hate the audiobook version!
In my audiobook library I have quite a bit of Terry Pratchett, Game of Thrones, Welcome to Night Vale, Swan Song (a good one for fans of apocalypses), a bit of Patrick Rothfuss, some Alastair Reynolds, some China Mieville, 14 by Peter Clines (great fun!), the Locke Lamora books, Wool /Shift/Dust by Hugh Howey, Weaveworld, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell...... And of course some Neil Gaiman. So basically sci fi and fantasy, especially modern/urban fantasy - but only the well written stuff. No Twilight here!
you work in a library? Awesome what as?

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
you work in a library? Awesome what as?

It's a university library so there's lots of books that aren't very exciting.I have a pretty good behind-the-scenes job where I very rarely have to deal with live human beings. And unlimited internet because you never know what you might have to look up. Once when I worked in inter loans I had a student who was doing a Forensics PhD on drug labs and I had to go poking around some quite interesting places online....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm reading Sue Grafton's latest issue - X. I have them all starting with A is for Alibi. Lately I haven't been spending money on books because I can get Kindle books free through Bookbub.com, but I love Sue Grafton, so I forked over $14 for a Kindle book. Can you imagine?

Prairie Mom

It's a university library so there's lots of books that aren't very exciting.I have a pretty good behind-the-scenes job where I very rarely have to deal with live human beings. And unlimited internet because you never know what you might have to look up. Once when I worked in inter loans I had a student who was doing a Forensics PhD on drug labs and I had to go poking around some quite interesting places online....
Sounds fun. In my early college years I got to work as a Receiver in and Independent bookstore and had a second job as an assistant to a Film/AV archivist in the collections department at a big University Library. Best jobs ever!!!

Prairie Mom

I'm reading Sue Grafton's latest issue - X. I have them all starting with A is for Alibi. Lately I haven't been spending money on books because I can get Kindle books free through Bookbub.com, but I love Sue Grafton, so I forked over $14 for a Kindle book. Can you imagine?
Fun! I actually haven't read any Sue Grafton. Maybe I should pick one up when it's time to do a Mystery in my book club.

Lately, I've been trying REALLY hard not to buy many books for myself, but am trying to fill the shelves at home with books at my kids' reading level. I've re-opened my heart to the local library. I just went in this morning:D