What are you reading??

Prairie Mom

Currently re reading the castings trilogy by pamela freeman. I have read this series a few times now and by far my fav. For its rawness, grit, imaginative, and great racial symbolisim. For those that like a bit of fantasy or GOT types.
Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the suggestion!!! If you like a bit of Fantasy, I really recommend Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Prairie Mom

So at this stage in the game, I'm not sure how much more I'll be willing to put into reading, "The Government". It's just exhausting. I've got so many others that I'd prefer to read, from sci-fi to Buddhist teachings that I've found if it doesn't grab me fast, the odds are better that I'll toss it rather than read it in it's entirety, unlike Kurt Vonnegut. Regardless of the book it's guaranteed to be golden.
I used to plow through so many bad books that just weren't worth it. I don't know why I used to feel obligated to finish them. I've since changed my tune...Life's too short for a bad book. I vote you ditch and move on to better pages!:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Life's too short for a bad book. I vote you ditch and move on to better pages!:)
Which is the decision I made early this morning. I ditched, "The Government" and I have since moved on to a collection of sci-fi shortish books. The first story is a good one. I'm liking it, ideally it is a view of things to come in the following stories. The title of this collection is, "Space Science Fiction Super Pack"
618 pages. I wish I could at a glance tell you how many stories it contains, but it's an ereader book and it's hard to count like that on a screen.
I have a kindle fire tablet as well as an iPad2 that I use for reading, as well as a huge real library containing Louis L'Amour westerns. For my eBooks and other devices, I use a daily email service called BookBub. This is a free to use service that emails you daily lists of books you can download to either type of reader. The service is free to use and what's better are the prices of the books, normally FREE upto $2.99 !
I usually will only spend upto .99¢ on a book and many I get are free.
You sign up, enter the subjects you're interested in, and daily you get the offers. I've used it 2-3 years now, and I'm still liking it. And yes, you are providing them with your email address, but I've never had them send me emails that I wasn't expecting. @Yvonne G uses it as well, and I don't believe she has any issues either. Heck, you could choose children's books even just for your kids. Have fun and keep on reading!
Here is the World Wide Internet Machine address for the site …

http://landers.bookbub.com/covers/?...txxnIPpeSCF0rDNETRrcWV8EugUj8zLErcaApbi8P8HAQ

Let me know if you use and like it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I have since moved on to a collection of sci-fi shortish books. The first story is a good one. I'm liking it, ideally it is a view of things to come in the following stories. The title of this collection is, "Space Science Fiction Super Pack"
Oops! I'm reading,(the first one in this collection) "Second Variety" by Philip K. ****

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I have...er...15 books in the magic realism genre.

For anybody that has read a Gabriel García Márquez novel: When I picked up One Hundred Years of Solitude, I went in blind. I knew it was a well-liked book. I knew it was considered a masterpiece. I didn't know what magic realism was. I thought it was just like any other novel. I had to read a few chapters before I sat back and said "wait, something isn't right here." I guess I just trusted the narrator and assumed the odd things happening were totally fine and normal in any life.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have...er...15 books in the magic realism genre.

For anybody that has read a Gabriel García Márquez novel: When I picked up One Hundred Years of Solitude, I went in blind. I knew it was a well-liked book. I knew it was considered a masterpiece. I didn't know what magic realism was. I thought it was just like any other novel. I had to read a few chapters before I sat back and said "wait, something isn't right here." I guess I just trusted the narrator and assumed the odd things happening were totally fine and normal in any life.
Incredible book.
Highly recommended, folks.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Yes!

I worry that the historical/cultural commentary aspect of it will drive people away before they read the first page, so when I recommend it I describe it as reading a dream and let them figure the rest out on their way through. It's fantastic.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I belong to/host a book group where I live. The book for the month rotates among the membership. We don't always pick winners. We often pick books none of us have read, but are curious about. It can be pretty hit and miss, but I still enjoy meeting together and discussing them regardless of how thrilled I am about the book choice.

In addition to my book club reading, I went ahead and jotted down some books that I want to read. There is a lot of sci fi type stuff, because we don't often read that in my book group, but there is also regular fiction, mystery, and supernatural/horror as well.

Has anyone read any of these or do you have any interest in these? I'm unfamiliar with most of them and won't guarantee content, but this could be fun:) ???

Want to read one with me and we post about it?

-"Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel -Sounds like a really interesting post- apocalyptic novel. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20170404-station-eleven

-"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins -Supposedly a good Psychological thriller. I read a review once that made me think that you learn the main character is already dead as the book opens. -Not sure if this is accurate, but sounds intriguing. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22557272-the-girl-on-the-train

-"Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson - God-like people suddenly become like Lepers from some mysterious affliction and are exiled in a prison city. The story follows a Prince who is afflicted and sent into the city run by sick and suffering thugs as well as the story of his fiance' outside of the city walls.Those who are afflicted are dressed in their burial shrouds and sent into the city, while the outside world has their funeral. I remember really liking this book, but would like a reread. This was written as the author's Masters' thesis when he graduated and then became a big-time writer.

-"The Martian" by Andy Weir - Heard the book was really good. The movie looks really good and I'll be renting it soon.

-"The Rent Collector" by Camron Wright -Heard it was good, but haven't read it. It's set in Cambodia and involves a group of people who live and make a living from recyclables at a dumping ground. Heard the story was really gripping and an uplifting read. May have received an award of some kind, but I'm not sure.

-"The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson -it's been years since I read it and would like a reread. My husband teaches this in a literature class regarding supernatural/horror lit. This is the same author who wrote the short story "The Lottery."

-"The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller - Sounds like it could be interesting. Here's a summary: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13330761-the-dog-stars?from_search=true&search_version=service

-"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Phillip K ****. -I haven't read any Phillip K. **** since my teens and would be interested to see what I think of his writing now. This is the story that inspired the movie "Blade Runner." No idea how the book is, but I know this is an interesting author.

-I also just finished the first one in the Young Adult "Mazerunner" series and am about to start "The Scortch Trials."

Did you ever read Girl on the Train?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm reading: "The Invisible Ark. In Defense of Captivity." by Dave and Tracy Barker.

So far, so good. The book makes a lot of good points and explains some things that should be obvious to most people, but don't seem to be.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I'm not really reading anything at the moment, but I just finished Cell by Stephen King. It was extremely mediocre.

But before that I read two books that were completely a huge step outside of the kind of thing I normally read. I read two books by Jenny Lawson and they were a humorous memoir by some blogger I've never heard of. I'm not even sure how I came across her books or why I picked it up, but I thought they were excellent. Dealt very heavily with depression and mental illness, but somehow managed to keep a light humorous tone. I really thought they were excellent, but I acknowledge it may not be everyone's kind of thing.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Am not reading anything at the moment. Unfortunately the net seems to have replaced book, at least here in the Middle East. Too bad.

Prairie Mom

I'm not really reading anything at the moment, but I just finished Cell by Stephen King. It was extremely mediocre.

But before that I read two books that were completely a huge step outside of the kind of thing I normally read. I read two books by Jenny Lawson and they were a humorous memoir by some blogger I've never heard of. I'm not even sure how I came across her books or why I picked it up, but I thought they were excellent. Dealt very heavily with depression and mental illness, but somehow managed to keep a light humorous tone. I really thought they were excellent, but I acknowledge it may not be everyone's kind of thing.
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the reviews!

Prairie Mom

I'm reading: "The Invisible Ark. In Defense of Captivity." by Dave and Tracy Barker.

So far, so good. The book makes a lot of good points and explains some things that should be obvious to most people, but don't seem to be.
Huh...Hadn't heard of it before. That's a pretty well thought-out title. Might have to take a peek at this one some time.