What are your favorite temp/humidity gauges?

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
Besides a heat gun, what are your favorite (digital preferably) thermometers/hydrometers? I've had two break on me with "excess humidity" (at somewhere around 70%, sheesh)- I've bought the same two cheapo magnetic ones and the screens go. Looking at reviews on Amazon they're all over the place and I'm not super convinced all the reviews are real, in any case. Help!

My main need is in one that saves the "high" and "low" for temp. I have remote sensor thermometers that work great, but only give me current readings and I'm working on new housing that has some pretty large swings I'd like to fix.

Thanks!

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
I have an "etekcity lasergrip 1080 infrared thermometer" according to it's side, I double check the temps the first few times and so far it seems to be accurate and still working at about 5 years old. Honestly, I didn't put a ton of effort into it- I suspect it might have been a decently reviewed (for whatever that is worth) and inexpensive one online. Happy to hear if there are recommended temp guns! I use it a *lot* so I'm happy to have it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use these little Accu-rite thermometer/humidity gauges. I get them at Lowe's. You can probably find them on Amazon too. IMG_20200531_202333527.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use wireless indoor outdoor thermometers. They have them that will do everything you want, Some that can be left out uncovered in the rain. The last one I got from amazon has 3 sending units and it does everything needed. I just looked and there is no brand name on it and i can't find the paper work that came with it. The other brands I use are acu-rite, radio shack and LL Bean. None of them were real expensive and all work well. To get a good ground temp I wrap the sending unit in a small plastic bag to help keep it clean and dry. The others I hang high enough that the tortoises cant reach them. I got my temp gun from harbor freight. It turns out that I use it more for cooking to check grill and frying pan temps than checking tortoise temps.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
lol, those temp guns end up having some surprising uses :)
ok, I was eyeballing the wireless indoor/outdoor ones on Amazon- they're not expensive and I'm hoping maybe they'll work out for the high humidity enclosed chambers.