What Bedding is the Best for a Russian Tortoise?

RussianTORTIES

Location (City and/or State)
Italy
I'm not sure which bedding is best for my future Russian tortoise. Cypress mulch? Sand? Soil? Coconut Shreds? The type of terrarium I'm going to get is a glass reptile terrarium (with visible barriers) from Petsmart/Petco.
-Thanks!​

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
The tank won’t work, if you’re going with an adult. An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot tortoise table, and no tank is big enough. Give these a read and come back with questions-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
I find that peat moss is great for a cheap substrate, but fine grade orchid bark is my favorite. It’s just pretty expensive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure which bedding is best for my future Russian tortoise. Cypress mulch? Sand? Soil? Coconut Shreds? The type of terrarium I'm going to get is a glass reptile terrarium (with visible barriers) from Petsmart/Petco.
-Thanks!​
If you are buying a pet store tortoise it will be an adult. No glass tank that you can buy off the shelf will be even remotely large enough. Tortoises need lots of room to move around. As you will soon discover, the pet store will also give you lots of incorrect care advice and sell you the wrong products. Most of what you need can be bought much cheaper at the hardware store. Fine grade orchid bark works best for these guys as adults, and it can be bought cheaply in bulk at a local garden center. Its also called "fir bark". Make sure to get fine grade, and be sure there are no additives in it. You usually won't find it in a hardware store. Have to go to a nursery or garden center specifically.

Read those links from TechnoCheese for more info.

RussianTORTIES

Italy
If you are buying a pet store tortoise it will be an adult. No glass tank that you can buy off the shelf will be even remotely large enough. Tortoises need lots of room to move around. As you will soon discover, the pet store will also give you lots of incorrect care advice and sell you the wrong products. Most of what you need can be bought much cheaper at the hardware store. Fine grade orchid bark works best for these guys as adults, and it can be bought cheaply in bulk at a local garden center. Its also called "fir bark". Make sure to get fine grade, and be sure there are no additives in it. You usually won't find it in a hardware store. Have to go to a nursery or garden center specifically.

This was very helpful information. Thank you so much!!!

RussianTORTIES

Italy

Thank you!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I would go with forest floor/cypress...it holds moisture, allows digging, does NOT stink to high heaven like orchid when wet, is never ingested on purpose, and is easy to maintain. Coco coir does all of that and works well too but is messy. Stay away from cedar and sand, cedar is lethal, sand can be.

RussianTORTIES

Italy
I would go with forest floor/cypress...it holds moisture, allows digging, does NOT stink to high heaven like orchid when wet, is never ingested on purpose, and is easy to maintain. Coco coir does all of that and works well too but is messy. Stay away from cedar and sand, cedar is lethal, sand can be.
Ok, thank you! I will probably go with the cypress mulch.