What breed is my Tortoise?

Jordan P

I just got him/her and the person had no idea what breed it is. I immediately began reresearching tortoise breeds and there are too many for me to narrow down which breed I have. I want to make sure it has a happy life and is properly cared for. I have a lot of space in and outside of my house for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-12-21-28-43-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-12-21-28-43-1.png
    513.4 KB · Views: 52

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
That would be a Sulcata, or African spurred tortoise. Lots of great info here on those guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I hope you have a big, fenced-in yard! You're going to need it! :) There's a ton of information on Sulcatas on this forum, and lots of Sulcata care-takers to your questions.

Jordan P

Thank you all for the fast reply. I live on a farm and have lots of space for it. I am in the works of making an outdoor enclosure for it. I figured it was a sulcata. I'm happy and excited to have it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to read all the info at the top of the Sulcata section. (Plus, they don't hibernate - you have to keep them warm in the winter)

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Thank you all for the fast reply. I live on a farm and have lots of space for it. I am in the works of making an outdoor enclosure for it. I figured it was a sulcata. I'm happy and excited to have it.
Before you build the outdoor enclosure, make sure you check the space requirements. They need ALOT of space. Might as well do it right the first time. I learned the hard way.
Welcome!!!!
And head on over to the Sulcata forum. Lots of info and experts of all kinds there!