What breed is this tortoise?

_Sulcata_tortoise_

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Does anyone know what breed this tortoise could be? I wasn’t sure which section to post this in.. TIA

Attachments

• 7C889087-DBA2-4BDC-8C70-3A182C22CD98.jpeg
    7C889087-DBA2-4BDC-8C70-3A182C22CD98.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 10
  • F4C0B1B7-419B-4D04-AA4B-ED584ABF9C92.jpeg
    F4C0B1B7-419B-4D04-AA4B-ED584ABF9C92.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 10

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does anyone know what breed this tortoise could be? I wasn’t sure which section to post this in.. TIA
It looks like a Gopher Tortoise or a Berlandier's Tortoise, both of which are protected and not legal to take from the wild. Did you find that tortoise or was it given to you? Where in TX are you if you found it? You may need to show it to some TX wildlife authorities to get a definite ID on it and to decide what should be done with it.

If you did find it in the wild in TX, it is probably best to just put it back where you found it and be done with it.

Gopher Tortoises are not native to TX and if that is what it is, it should NOT be released.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are no tortoise breeds. "Breed" indicates a variation of a domestic animal, like dog breeds or chicken breeds. These are all the same species, but differ morphologically in one or more ways like a Tibetan Mastiff and a Chihuahua. Different breeds, same species. Our tortoises are all different species. Some tortoise species, like greeks for one example, are broken down further in to location specific subspecies, but there are no tortoise breeds.

The one in the pics is definitely a captive raised, male Gopherus, but I can't tell which species either. It could even be a hybrid. All Gopherus species are protected.