What can I do to finish my baby's home??

Greektort2015

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I am getting my new baby Greek in a few days and his enclosure is just a starter for now. It is 36" long, 18" wide and 12" high. I have no idea which lighting to use for uvb or what wattage of heat lamp for a 12" high enclosure. Also are terracotta planter bottoms ok to use as a water bowl and food bowl. Is there anything else I am missing??
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 56

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't have Greek tortoises, but terra cotta saucers are great water and food bowls. Sink them in level with the substrate. It looks dry in there. Check out the care guides for recommended humidity info.
Whatever lighting you go with, don't get a coil bulb. They can cause eye damage.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Try adding some plants too. Help him feel more secure if he has a place to hide. As far as lighs go, in that small of a space you will not need much to get high temps.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Small spider plants in pots sunk into substrate are good as they are bushy and safe if nibbled but if they are too tall lots of other options too if you look at pics of other tort enclosures.
You may need to spray substrate but check needs for your tort on care sheet, and as Jodie says if the dishes are sunk into substrate so the top is level with ground then it will be easier for tort to access and get out of.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Agree with all of the above, sunken terracotta saucers, check humidity and add some plants.
Bit of cuttlefish maybe?