What did you get for Christmas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
OK, try this, as previous link goes nowhere: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,166142,00.asp

My computer repairperson tells me it's a repeat of a virus from about ten years ago, but w/ a few changes to bypass many, if not most, anti-virus programs...Avast didn't detect it and it attacked and shut down Malwarebytes.

Hopefully, this'll help others avoid this hassle and expense!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My computer was infected by two different virii this past year, so I'm real hesitant to click on links anymore. So I did a GOOGLE search using your link in the search box and came up with this:

A new Christmas-themed virus began spreading Wednesday morning on the Internet and is likely to catch many PC users unaware, security experts said.

The new mass-mailing worm is variously known as W32.Reeezack and W32.Zacker and is spreading via Microsoft Corp.'s Outlook e-mail client as well as the MSN Messenger instant-messaging client, according to an advisory released by Symantec Corp. Once it is resident on an infected machine, the worm changes the Internet Explorer start page to a malicious site that uses an IE exploit to create a VBScript file on the PC.

This script in turn spreads the worm via shared network drives and also deletes anti-virus files and any files in the Windows system directory. Experts say the worm may also be spreading via the IRC chat network.

Reeezack arrives in the user's e-mail inbox with a subject line of "Hii."

The body of the e-mail reads:

"I can't describe my fellings

But all i can say is

Happy New Year :)

Bye."

The attachment containing the worm is called Christmas.exe.

In addition to its malicious payload, the worm also mails itself to every address in the infected machine's Outlook address book and disables some keys on the keyboard.

Anti-virus experts at Computer Associates International Inc. first began hearing reports of the worm early Wednesday morning in Europe, and many of the infections have been in the United Kingdom so far, they say. The combination of the Christmas theme and the destructive payload makes Reeezack a potentially very dangerous worm.

"This is not exactly the type of holiday greeting you're expecting," said Ian Hameroff, director of anti-virus solutions at CA in Islandia, N.Y.

Home PC users are especially vulnerable to the worm, Hameroff said, as they are more likely to open attachments. Also, home users are far less likely to have backed up all of their data, meaning they could be faced with having to reinstall their operating system if the worm succeeds in deleting all of the files in the Windows system directory.

icicle

5 Year Member
About a month early I got a Droid 2 cell phone, and Christmas eve I got an RT.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui, those are the best gifts, I am so glad your girls are ok. I pray for someone to find the missing girl.
Terry, I am so sorry you got a virus, I hate those!
Candy, Wow what a beautiful painting, your son has a lot of talent!!! You must be so proud :)
My hubby got me a Nintendo Wii :D, some Wii games and a cam recorder, my parents got me a Burberry scarf and a Burberry umbrella :cool:. And I got Jewelry, clothes, and books :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
finleafeater said:
My dad is such a joker. He requested photos of me and my "gift" and I couldnt figure out why until I opened it.

My goodness! Are you 9 feet tall, or is that an optical illusion?

emysemys said:
Aw-w-w! PJ's with footies! That's always the coldest part of my body. I'm trying to train my cat to lay on my feet, but she won't have it. Very cute PJ's.

You need to borrow my JRT. She's either chasing varmints off the property or warming my feet under the covers. I love her. She's hell on wheels about protecting the house too.:D

Terry Allan Hall said:
OK, try this, as previous link goes nowhere: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,166142,00.asp

My computer repairperson tells me it's a repeat of a virus from about ten years ago, but w/ a few changes to bypass many, if not most, anti-virus programs...Avast didn't detect it and it attacked and shut down Malwarebytes.

Hopefully, this'll help others avoid this hassle and expense!

Time to get a Mac. I've never had a single virus.

I got Supercross tickets to the first ever Dodger Stadium Supercross. Only two Anaheims this year.

Jacqui, so glad your girls are okay. As soon as my daughter was born, something happening to her has become my worse nightmare. Do you have that GPS service on their cell phones. It only cost $10 bucks a month and you can track their cell phones from your phone or any computer. Anyhow, a safe, healthy family is the best present there is...

Kevin, we want pics as soon as he arrives.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Wow Jacqui- I'm so happy your girls are ok. My kids aren't that old yet, but them getting hurt-physically or emotionally, is so scary to me. My husband and kids bought me a Canon Rebel XS bundle. I'm really into photography but i've always had a Sony so I've got a lot of learning to do. It was actually my Christmas/February holidays (wedding anniversary/valentine's day/birthday). I'm super excited!!! You can count on seeing more tort pictures soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:
My goodness! Are you 9 feet tall, or is that an optical illusion?

It DOES look like she's touching the ceiling, huh?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Isa said:
Jacqui, those are the best gifts, I am so glad your girls are ok. I pray for someone to find the missing girl.
Terry, I am so sorry you got a virus, I hate those!
Candy, Wow what a beautiful painting, your son has a lot of talent!!! You must be so proud :)
My hubby got me a Nintendo Wii :D, some Wii games and a cam recorder, my parents got me a Burberry scarf and a Burberry umbrella :cool:. And I got Jewelry, clothes, and books :D

Wow Isa you got Burberry? Very nice. My son wanted a Wii. :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
My computer was infected by two different virii this past year, so I'm real hesitant to click on links anymore. So I did a GOOGLE search using your link in the search box and came up with this:

A new Christmas-themed virus began spreading Wednesday morning on the Internet and is likely to catch many PC users unaware, security experts said.

The new mass-mailing worm is variously known as W32.Reeezack and W32.Zacker and is spreading via Microsoft Corp.'s Outlook e-mail client as well as the MSN Messenger instant-messaging client, according to an advisory released by Symantec Corp. Once it is resident on an infected machine, the worm changes the Internet Explorer start page to a malicious site that uses an IE exploit to create a VBScript file on the PC.

This script in turn spreads the worm via shared network drives and also deletes anti-virus files and any files in the Windows system directory. Experts say the worm may also be spreading via the IRC chat network.

Reeezack arrives in the user's e-mail inbox with a subject line of "Hii."

The body of the e-mail reads:

"I can't describe my fellings

But all i can say is

Happy New Year :)

Bye."

The attachment containing the worm is called Christmas.exe.

In addition to its malicious payload, the worm also mails itself to every address in the infected machine's Outlook address book and disables some keys on the keyboard.

Anti-virus experts at Computer Associates International Inc. first began hearing reports of the worm early Wednesday morning in Europe, and many of the infections have been in the United Kingdom so far, they say. The combination of the Christmas theme and the destructive payload makes Reeezack a potentially very dangerous worm.

"This is not exactly the type of holiday greeting you're expecting," said Ian Hameroff, director of anti-virus solutions at CA in Islandia, N.Y.

Home PC users are especially vulnerable to the worm, Hameroff said, as they are more likely to open attachments. Also, home users are far less likely to have backed up all of their data, meaning they could be faced with having to reinstall their operating system if the worm succeeds in deleting all of the files in the Windows system directory.

Yeah, that's the one!

While I'm not a fan of the death penalty, I might make an exception for virus-makers...

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I got a remote starter for my truck and a Gerber EMS knife from my husband. Just what I wanted:)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Hubby said that he saw a woman in front of Petco trying to sell a sulcata and two redfoots! They were not under our tree and I have mixed emotions ;D Really, we are at animal capacity.

I'm really, really, stoked about my new ihome!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Woke up Christmas Eve morning with a very sore throat. Spent all day running from relative to relative's house. Christmas morning, my sinuses were totally swollen shut, my right eye is weeping down my face, and I have chronic lung issues anyway, so every time I get sick it feels like a mule kicked me in the chest. (I have been kicked by a mule, so I have a basis for comparison.) Can't think, can't taste, can't eat, can't sleep, and my nose is bleeding. Merry freakin' Christmas. :(

So, for Christmas, I got sick.

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
I got a Kindle and started reading my first e book, Courting Disaster by Marc Thiessen.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
kyryah said:
Woke up Christmas Eve morning with a very sore throat. Spent all day running from relative to relative's house. Christmas morning, my sinuses were totally swollen shut, my right eye is weeping down my face, and I have chronic lung issues anyway, so every time I get sick it feels like a mule kicked me in the chest. (I have been kicked by a mule, so I have a basis for comparison.) Can't think, can't taste, can't eat, can't sleep, and my nose is bleeding. Merry freakin' Christmas. :(

So, for Christmas, I got sick.

I am so sorry to hear that! Last Christmas I got the stomach flu :/ Not fun.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Besides presents and money, and a 125 gal from all my kids and grandkids, I got the same thing as Kristina got. I couldn't wait for everyone to get out so I could go to bed.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I got a new incubator (one of the mini-fridge type ones from lllreptile), as well as the Merck Veterinary manual, and mostly stuff for our house, which my fiancee and I will hopefully be moved into by February.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the holiday season

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Tortoise-related I got a temp gun and salad spinner, haha.

S

shilohgomz

I have got so many chocolates, cookies and cake on the Christmas. The most important gift which I have got on this christmas from my parents is my new cell and I am very happy after getting this because before sometimes I have told my parents to buy it for me but at that time they say no to me but on the christmas they gave me this big surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.