What do the sounds my sulcatas make mean?

Madkathq

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Elsinore
(they are 2-3mo old in separate tanks) It's late at night and I'm hearing some chirping. I know Hame was passed out a couple minutes ago. I heard that sulcatas bark, chirp, pip, squeak, etc. What do these sounds mean? I'm not worried because it sounds normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Male tortoises are vocal when they're breeding, but I don't believe I've ever heard babies vocalize.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
(they are 2-3mo old in separate tanks) It's late at night and I'm hearing some chirping. I know Hame was passed out a couple minutes ago. I heard that sulcatas bark, chirp, pip, squeak, etc. What do these sounds mean? I'm not worried because it sounds normal.
It means they are getting sick because you have the temperature set too low. What are you using for night heat? What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? What are you using to monitor those temperatures?

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
It means they are getting sick because you have the temperature set too low. What are you using for night heat? What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? What are you using to monitor those temperatures?

The temperature guages in the tank say that it's at 80°.

I have two makeshift tanks right now. One is a 12inx32in diy plastic bin tank with a heat emitter. This has two circular temp/humidity gauges. They are at kame's height. I make sure that the lowest it ever gets is 80° I don't have the money for the infrared temp sensor, but I just ordered one with my financial aid. Im a bit lost when looking for a remote probed thermometer, and I don't really know why you suggested one in your thread because it seems the same as the infrared sensor. Can you tell me the difference? Anyways, I only have the one temp gauge that's a bit away from the emitter. In my other tank, it's a tiny open one. The gauge says it's 80 on the cool side but I'm not sure. I covered it with foil to hold heat in. The open tank baby, Hame, is the one that chirped. He also chirped when I brought him into an 80 degree room with a lot of humidity before he was taken out of the larger tank with kame, he seemed happy. I do give them multiple warm soaks/showers a day.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore

I have two makeshift tanks right now. One is a 12inx32in diy plastic bin tank with a heat emitter. This has two circular temp/humidity gauges. They are at kame's height. I make sure that the lowest it ever gets is 80° I don't have the money for the infrared temp sensor, but I just ordered one with my financial aid. Im a bit lost when looking for a remote probed thermometer, and I don't really know why you suggested one in your thread because it seems the same as the infrared sensor. Can you tell me the difference? Anyways, I only have the one temp gauge that's a bit away from the emitter. In my other tank, it's a tiny open one. The gauge says it's 80 on the cool side but I'm not sure. I have a reptile heating pad on the side opposite of the heat emitter set to 80 degrees, and of course the heat emitter. I covered it with foil to hold heat in. The open tank baby, Hame, is the one that chirped. He also chirped when I brought him into an 80 degree room with a lot of humidity before he was taken out of the larger tank with kame, he seemed happy. I do give them multiple warm soaks/showers a day.
By the way, I know I sound like a horrible owner for having them while I'm a jobless college student, but I took them in because I saw they were being cared for wrong. If you have any ideas on jobs I can work from home during quarantine is much appreciate it. I love my babies but I might have to find a worthy owner for one of them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I have two makeshift tanks right now. One is a 12inx32in diy plastic bin tank with a heat emitter. This has two circular temp/humidity gauges. They are at kame's height. I make sure that the lowest it ever gets is 80° I don't have the money for the infrared temp sensor, but I just ordered one with my financial aid. Im a bit lost when looking for a remote probed thermometer, and I don't really know why you suggested one in your thread because it seems the same as the infrared sensor. Can you tell me the difference? Anyways, I only have the one temp gauge that's a bit away from the emitter. In my other tank, it's a tiny open one. The gauge says it's 80 on the cool side but I'm not sure. I covered it with foil to hold heat in. The open tank baby, Hame, is the one that chirped. He also chirped when I brought him into an 80 degree room with a lot of humidity before he was taken out of the larger tank with kame, he seemed happy. I do give them multiple warm soaks/showers a day.
80 is the minimum ambient. Do they also have an area to bask and warm up to 95-100 every day?

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
80 is the minimum ambient. Do they also have an area to bask and warm up to 95-100 every day?
Yes for both of them until yesterday. I just separated them.... Oh my gosh I just realized I left them with my mom yesterday, she might've let them get cold. Would he chirp after one day?

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
Yes for both of them until yesterday. I just separated them.... Oh my gosh I just realized I left them with my mom yesterday, she might've let them get cold. Would he chirp after one day?
Also, I'm soaking Kame right now in warm water. He seems to be shedding a titch by his eye and chin. Is that normal? Also, they both make little squishy noises kind of like swallowing/moving of air when in warm water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. One day of cold for a baby can do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. One day of cold for a baby can do it.
The solution is to bump ambient temp up to 85-90 day and night, and still have the 100 degree basking area all day long. The extra heat will help them fight of the infection. Be sure to do a long warm soak every day with all the extra heat. Do not let the soaking water get cool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they are in proper conditions now will they still be sick from one day of exposure?
The regular basic conditions would prevent them from getting sick in the first place, but it might not help them recover from being already sick. Bump the temps up for the next two to three weeks, and they should recover all on their own.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
The regular basic conditions would prevent them from getting sick in the first place, but it might not help them recover from being already sick. Bump the temps up for the next two to three weeks, and they should recover all on their own.
Okay, will do.