What do you do with your equipment boxes?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
By the time you factor in heating devices, thermostats, light fixtures, light bulbs to go in the fixtures, even stands to hold light fixtures... That's a lot of boxes. Even more if you have an aquatic or semi aquatic setup... Water filters, pumps, aeration, submerged heaters, UV sterilizers, UVB lighting, basking light, CHEs, etc.

Some of those could be under warranty. They may be needed only part of the year, or they're worth keeping around "just in case" after you upgrade to a better enclosure or setup.

So what do you do with the boxes?

Which boxes (and packing material) are worth keeping?

I'm interested in the thought process (if there is one) behind WHAT you keep and HOW you keep it.

How do you store equipment that has been used before (at all), when you aren't using it currently?

How do you justify or rationalize what to keep, and how to keep it?

There aren't any right or wrong answers here, I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use most all cardboard that comes here as fire starter in my wood stove. When I was running the rescue I would save cardboard boxes of tortoise size to send tortoises to their new homes in, but now it's all kindling.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Most of my stuff comes from eBay so not sure any warranties would be valid. A lot of them get saved for Xmas gifts but most get thrown away

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I pretty much keep boxes until I know the product is working properly.

I also keep a few Walmart boxes of different sizes. You get these by ordering online and Walmart delivers. The boxes are VERY high quality, and strong.

When I had to bring Chug out of brumation early, it was a Walmart box he went into as a temporary tort table.

Other boxes I flatten and put into recycling ASAP. If I'm not careful, my garage gets stacked with boxes.