What do you do with your torts on vacation?

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Whenever I get my next vacation, my redfoot will be twoish years old. We'll likely be gone for a week. Would he be fine with extra food and water, or should we look into having someone come by?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look into someone coming daily. I now have my son that is usually home when we are gone. However, when he was younger and went with us, I hired a tortoise sitter. He would come over twice a day in the summer to let outside, feed and water. Then would come back towards evening to lock them back up for the night. In winter when they don't get outside, he would come once a day.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
If it was only for a day or two, you could get away with timers, extra water and food. A week, I wouldn't chance it.
Makes sense!
I don't think much of my daily care routine with my animals, but as we were planning out the vacation I realized my poor parents will go from one dog to two dogs, two rabbits, and a tortoise for a whole week.

Also just a question for anyone, would it hurt anything to put a twoish year old redfoot in a large Rubbermaid tub for a week? I'm assuming it's too small full-time, but with the enclosure I'm building him, I don't think I could move it to and from my parents if it would just be there a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't use a small tub, but get as large a tub as possibly. The Christmas tree storage tubs should be out, they would make a good size. Too small and heat or over heating can be a big concern. Get it early and try it out at home before relying on it for the first time with someone new

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i've tried 10 days with good result. they were about 3 years old. set the lights on timer and provided enough water.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
For vacation last year me and my Tortoise went to Disney world. This year were planning a cruise thru the Caribbean........

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Makes sense!
I don't think much of my daily care routine with my animals, but as we were planning out the vacation I realized my poor parents will go from one dog to two dogs, two rabbits, and a tortoise for a whole week.

Also just a question for anyone, would it hurt anything to put a twoish year old redfoot in a large Rubbermaid tub for a week? I'm assuming it's too small full-time, but with the enclosure I'm building him, I don't think I could move it to and from my parents if it would just be there a week.
The tortoise should stay in its own enclosure and preferably in your own home. They don't like to be moved around. I definitely would not put it in a smaller tub enclosure.

It is not good for the tortoise to move it around or take it with you, and certainly not a good idea to leave it unattended for more than a couple of days.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
I wouldn't use a small tub, but get as large a tub as possibly. The Christmas tree storage tubs should be out, they would make a good size. Too small and heat or over heating can be a big concern. Get it early and try it out at home before relying on it for the first time with someone new

I was just thinking of what I currently have him in now that he's still small, I think it's 50ish gallons

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
The tortoise should stay in its own enclosure and preferably in your own home. They don't like to be moved around. I definitely would not put it in a smaller tub enclosure.

It is not good for the tortoise to move it around or take it with you, and certainly not a good idea to leave it unattended for more than a couple of days.

This definitely makes sense. I'll see if anyone can come by.

This won't be for a very long while now, so I'll just check out petsitting options then

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
For vacation last year me and my Tortoise went to Disney world. This year were planning a cruise thru the Caribbean........
:D
The 'Queen Mary 2' has kennels on board maybe they'll do torts as well!:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I wouldn't risk leaving a tort without someone keeping an eye on him in case the heat source fails, or if he tips over and can't right himself under his bulb or in his water - too many things could go wrong.
I hope you find a pet sitter so that you can enjoy your hols.

Melis

Maryland
:D
The 'Queen Mary 2' has kennels on board maybe they'll do torts as well!:)
A bit off topic...
I did not know this was a thing! My fiancé thought I was crazy a few years ago when we started driving 16 hours to Florida in order to take our little ones with us. Wonder what his reaction would be to this...o_O:p:D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A bit off topic...
I did not know this was a thing! My fiancé thought I was crazy a few years ago when we started driving 16 hours to Florida in order to take our little ones with us. Wonder what his reaction would be to this...o_O:p:D
Apparently '.......the only kennels at sea'!
https://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/
They also take cats to and from NY - no mention of torts though:rolleyes::).