What do you feed your Russian tortoise?

mctortoise1983

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have been feeding my Russian tortoise kale, spring mix, along with shredded carrots. What other vegetables do you recommend and I read conflicting things about giving them fruit on occasion. I also have Missuri Tortoise died which my tortoise has no interest in.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi

This is @toms list of food stuff

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

mctortoise1983

Michigan
There is a old flower bed in our back yard with a rosebush, and a ton of weeds through out that we let our tortoise wander around with our supervision. I have seen him eat some of the weeds, but before he eats them he looks like he smells them first. Should I be worried? He shows no interest in the rosebush and doesn't even go near it. We do plan on block of the rose brush if we decided to turn the area in his outdoor hangout.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Mine did exactly that today. I introduced a new plant into his enclosure and I watched him sniff it for a minute before he took a bite.
You should download the app Tortoise Table and that will show you all plants that are safe or toxic.
Be careful because some weeds are toxic to tortoises.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
There is a old flower bed in our back yard with a rosebush, and a ton of weeds through out that we let our tortoise wander around with our supervision. I have seen him eat some of the weeds, but before he eats them he looks like he smells them first. Should I be worried? He shows no interest in the rosebush and doesn't even go near it. We do plan on block of the rose brush if we decided to turn the area in his outdoor hangout.

Tortoises are going to smell new foods to see if they seem tasty; that’s normal.

Rose leaves are safe but not very tasty to Russians, I don’t think. He’ll figure out to eat fallen rose petals at some point.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been feeding my Russian tortoise kale, spring mix, along with shredded carrots. What other vegetables do you recommend and I read conflicting things about giving them fruit on occasion. I also have Missuri Tortoise died which my tortoise has no interest in.
There is all sorts of bad info circulating around on the internet…

Kale is okay once in a while but should not be a staple. Same for spring mix. Carrots, vegetables and carrots should be avoided.

This species needs broadleaf weeds. Grape, hibiscus and mulberry leaves are all good too. Spineless opuntia pads are a good food too.

Which type of Mazuri did you get? Original or LS. Most tortoises don't like the LS. Most tortoises don't like any new food, and you'll have to spend some time introducing it slowly.

If you must use grocery store food, favor endive and escarole as you main staples, and add in all sorts of other stuff for variety.