what do you feed your tortoise on?

byviolet

I've been seeing some threads about overgrown beaks on tortoises, and it makes me worried that my hatchling will develop that. I'm just feeding him on a towel right now but would that be not so good for trimming his beak down? Do any of you guys feed your tortoise on anything special so he trims his beak while he eats?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
A slate tile works well. Costs like a dollar at Lowe's or Home Depot. I wouldn't feed on a towel because a) it doesn't trim the beak and b) it increases the risk of him ingesting a foreign body (piece of towel) and could possibly cause impaction.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
welll mine are eating on ceramic plate so they could work on their beak

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This shouldn't be an issue with the right diet and environment, regardless of what you feed them on. I feed most of mine on plastic trays or on a bed of grass hay for the big grass eaters. Tough fibrous weeds, grasses and spineless opuntia pads all help keep the beak in proper shape.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My tortoise eats on stone plate that keeps his nails trimmed too.
You can also feed him harder foods good for his beak, like carrots or cactus pads (on occasion). Offer him a cuddle bone, which can keep his beak short, and gives him extra calcium.

Flipper

MO, USA
I feed mine on a slate tile (12x12) that I got at Home Depot :)

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
I let my 5 month old hatchling walk around the concrete patio and he seem to be biting at the concrete floor to file down his beak, its nice and short now.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I use Terra cotta saucers if I do Mazuri. Or tile from home depot like 68 cents each. Most of the bigger torts just graze the grass and weeds though.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i use half a roof slate. its about 10inch by 6inch keeps his food out of the dirt when he spreads it around. also nice and easy to clean.

zaroba

indoors, on a stone block or in a plate.
outside i just toss the food on the rocky ground