What do you guys soak your large tortoises in indoors?

kyla

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have a six year old sulcata, about 40 lbs. I live in Michigan, and my tortoise lives indoors during the winter months. I'm not sure the best way to handle soaking him. We used the bathtub last year, but it clogged up the drain badly, was hard to clean, and kind of gross. This year we're considering soaking him in a large storage bin, but I'm wondering what method you guys use to clean the bins after soaking? Obviously the bin of water will be heavy, and I can't go lugging it outside to dump it out (I am a petite woman). Since he usually defecates while he soaks, what is the best way to clean the bin each time? (Or what do you do that will work better?!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't. Once I was sure they were drinking out of their waterer I don't soak anymore.

kyla

Michigan
I don't. Once I was sure they were drinking out of their waterer I don't soak anymore.

I want to soak him primarily because he doesn't have an enclosure, he lives with us in a quad level home with hardwood. I have a closet filled with hay he sleeps in, and we bring him up to the main level to bask in the sun in the sliding door and hang out with us. The trouble is he is getting messier as he gets larger and I want to soak him immediately after he eats to contain the bulk of the mess!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have a six year old sulcata, about 40 lbs. I live in Michigan, and my tortoise lives indoors during the winter months. I'm not sure the best way to handle soaking him. We used the bathtub last year, but it clogged up the drain badly, was hard to clean, and kind of gross. This year we're considering soaking him in a large storage bin, but I'm wondering what method you guys use to clean the bins after soaking? Obviously the bin of water will be heavy, and I can't go lugging it outside to dump it out (I am a petite woman). Since he usually defecates while he soaks, what is the best way to clean the bin each time? (Or what do you do that will work better?!)

Hi @kyla,

I have a 45 lb sulcata who lives indoors during the winter in Pennsylvania. We used to use large cement mixing tubs from Lowe's, like this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-P...x-36-in-L-x-8-in-D-Drywall-Mud-Pan/1000642569

But he's grown to the point where there isn't much room to move around in there anymore. I just upgraded to a 40 gallon stock tank:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-stock-tank-40-gal

It's not too big, but gives him more room to stretch out. The downside is that I have to drain it using a pitcher and a bucket - it's too big and heavy to move without emptying it first.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. I always like learning new tips and tricks from other sulcata owners in colder climates.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
cement mixing pans.

I find these plastic cement mixing pans too shallow now, especially for indoor soaking opportunities.

Our Sully is in the 70# range and just walks right out of these pans (making a massive water spill when inside). Like @EllieMay , I find our bathroom tub the easiest BUT it’s a Royal pain lugging a massive tort up (and down) three flights of steps.

I have a plastic kiddie pool that I might try this year. But Sully easily steps up & over this too. = Big Water Mess = BWM.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
We recently upgraded to the 40 gallon stock tank which has higher walls. Vlad was getting to the point where he could climb out of the mixing pan after he'd had enough.

@Maro2Bear the stock tank I linked to above has fairly high sides, that might prevent Sully from getting out in her own.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
We recently upgraded to the 40 gallon stock tank which has higher walls. Vlad was getting to the point where he could climb out of the mixing pan after he'd had enough.

@Maro2Bear the stock tank I linked to above has fairly high sides, that might prevent Sully from getting out in her own.

I’ll look, thanks. I just built a new 6’x3’ foot indoor “night box” complete with a new 120w RHP (using old Kane mat as well). So, need to cut back on even more expenditures.!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

They look pretty good and I know the material is nice & not easily flexed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Maybe someone needs to design a tortoise diaper :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort isn't as big but if I use the bath I put an under the bed storage box in it first. This keeps the bath clean and keeps any cleaning chemicals out of his water. The sides of the bath would stop a bigger tort climbing out.
I keep a sieve handy to scoop the poop as he does it and then flush it down the loo.