What do you guys think of this Red Foot?

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
I am looking at getting one or two more (one just isn't enough) :)
The seller said this one is 2 years old. That's all the info I have so far.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385387848.787581.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385387861.364500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
He looks REALLY dry.. I'm not a redfoot person, so this is my best guess.

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
Thanks. I think I will pass on this one and look to go thru a breeder like I did with my other one, which worked out very well.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Hold on , how much is this turtle ? Have you seen it in person ? Is the light , dry looking areas what they call marbling ? I like red foots with yellow heads , maybe this is a very lovable tort and just needs a good buff and puff ,soaking . Is there any wiggle room on the price ? Also it seems red foots are seasonal. Many adds thru summer then hardly any . Torts are us Adam has been advertising " a stunning red foot " on fauna classified . Just recently I did contact turtle source and the owner Marco was the most polite ,helpful,honest , you can get pictures to choose the exact turtle that you will receive ,the secretary was as helpful as can be . Good luck , you can ask for better pictures of that tort as well ,your right , one is not enough ! Keep us updated .

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
edwardbo said:
Hold on , how much is this turtle ? Have you seen it in person ? Is the light , dry looking areas what they call marbling ? I like red foots with yellow heads , maybe this is a very lovable tort and just needs a good buff and puff ,soaking . Is there any wiggle room on the price ? Also it seems red foots are seasonal. Many adds thru summer then hardly any . Torts are us Adam has been advertising " a stunning red foot " on fauna classified . Just recently I did contact turtle source and the owner Marco was the most polite ,helpful,honest , you can get pictures to choose the exact turtle that you will receive ,the secretary was as helpful as can be . Good luck , you can ask for better pictures of that tort as well ,your right , one is not enough ! Keep us updated .

Hi. This is an ad on Craigslist near me. I asked several questions including where was this tortoise purchased/ and also whether captive bred. I am waiting to hear back.
The asking price is $200 and includes habitat and lighting. Habitat may be on the small side but I have a very large tort table and was only going to use the one included for quarantine.
I don't want to rush into something and make a mistake. I am VERY new to tortoises and have to admit my original purchase through a good breeder made it so easy. I don't know enough about them yet to look at one and know if it looks good or not.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He looks like he has been neglected. I would offer him a hundred bucks and let him keep that tank . He need a home where he is loved and cared for . If you can save him .

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Poor thing. Dry doesn't cover it. I would say decimated! Or is that some sort of shell rot?

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Thank you for your honesty, offer 75 maybe a hundred , this turtle has struck a chord with us ,take a look at it ,the pics are horrible ,can't really see to much. Ann V. ,the color on the shell might be what some red foots get and it is called marbling ,it's very desirable ,like high colored leopards. Don't think shell rot is on the carapace ,it would require moisture and this turtle needs moisture. Any way maybe this turtle has been waiting for a great caretaker ,
Red footmom ,is there a safe way to check this turtle out ,ask for better pictures, .
I just took another look at the pictures and I really do think that turtle is displaying marbling, and I don't see much wrong ,the set up looks like they tried ,maybe it is all good. Some of my best animals came from Dubious backgrounds,they are more loving, better eaters and hardier than the expensive , coddled specimens, almost like they appreciate the loving care instead of demanding it. Love you all tort peeps, get more pic , best of luck , will check back .

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
I'll keep you all posted if the seller replies. The ad says very little and the email sent to me earlier which is where I got the pictures just stated that the tortoise comes with everything seen in the pictures.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
AnnV said:
Poor thing. Dry doesn't cover it. I would say decimated! Or is that some sort of shell rot?

Why would you say decimated? Decimated would mean that a percentage of the tortoise (historically 10%) has been destroyed.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: What do you guys think of this Red Foot?

Mgridgaway said:
AnnV said:

Why would you say decimated? Decimated would mean that a percentage of the tortoise (historically 10%) has been destroyed.

Well, I am just on my phone so pics are small and unclear, but that's what it looks like to me. Maybe it is just pigment. I can't see clear enough so I will shut up then...

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
If I knew a good breeder, especially one that I already dealt with, I woulds stick with them, just to keep it simple.
On the flip side, this tort could certainly use a good home.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hmph... its hard to really say anything from those pics. Sure he looks dry, but could also be just a really poor picture. If its local to you maybe see it in person and decide. Nothing is finalized till you fork over the cash, right?

Itd hard to say if thats starts or marbling, though id guess not IMO.