What do you like about tortoises?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
It wasn't my choice, it was my Daughter's and aince she and I are "joined at the hip" and she is only 11, naturally I have stepped in to fill in the blanks for her. I have always loved torts, but then I love ALL God's Creation, adore animals and plants, Nature in general. I had never been around pet tortoise except briefly in childhood years an acquaintance had a little Greek tortoise, whom I remember seeing roam the house. They probably fed her the wrong food, and all the other "beginner's mistakes".... I am always open to my children trying new things as I know the pets will be well cared for so my daughter's choice of pet was ok with me and even exciting. I love those babies to pieces! Of course we got 2!!!! Just like many other beginners out there, but we are figuring it out in the babies' favor. I love watching them walk, climb, eat, drink. Love their little pink tongues and love to watch the back of their feet when walking. Their backs look like little old "bowlegged babushka"... Just love them! Another favorite is a big yawn when they show inside of their mouth and that tongue! Looove it! Love it! Great thread by the way

W Shaw

First, because I have always wanted one, for as long as I can remember. Second, because they have been around for sooooo many years, it amazes me what they have survived? Third, because they require no attention (not talking about the care of them)but welcomes or tolerates it if I want to give it to them. I have had many, many animals, all much higher maintenance and besides my lizards, tortoises are probably the least needy and least amount of work. I like having a low maintenance, in my opinion, animal for a change, that doesn't have to have all my attention. Oh and they are just too darn cute too.

I think it's funny that you like them because they're low maintenance, while 2 months in with mine, I'm saying the exact opposite. I've never had a critter who was so high maintenance. My cat eats Iams and occasional treats. He's happy at the same temps I am. We sleep in the same bed, watch TV together, eat meals together and safely share the same living space. SO simple. Just like having a roommate. The ferrets were the same. The tortoise? Temps and humidity and soaking, and complex dietary needs and UVB. Constant monitoring. I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange the whole apartment to make a good living space for him. No regrets about rescuing him and I love the little rascal, but I hadn't really expected to have my entire life consumed by his day to day care.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think it's funny that you like them because they're low maintenance, while 2 months in with mine, I'm saying the exact opposite. I've never had a critter who was so high maintenance. My cat eats Iams and occasional treats. He's happy at the same temps I am. We sleep in the same bed, watch TV together, eat meals together and safely share the same living space. SO simple. Just like having a roommate. The ferrets were the same. The tortoise? Temps and humidity and soaking, and complex dietary needs and UVB. Constant monitoring. I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange the whole apartment to make a good living space for him. No regrets about rescuing him and I love the little rascal, but I hadn't really expected to have my entire life consumed by his day to day care.

You mean you don't keep your entire apartment @ 80*?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Babies are more work for the first year or two, but if you live in a warm climate it gets really easy once they move outside.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I love their eyes, shell patterns and watching them eat. I also love the gardening part, and it seems there is always something to learn when you have a tortoise....My husband can't believe how much care and energy I put into my tortoise (I think he is jealous).

W Shaw

Babies are more work for the first year or two, but if you live in a warm climate it gets really easy once they move outside.

I imagine so... but I don't live in a warm climate & don't have a yard, so I'm in for it! Fortunately, I live just a block from the arboretum where the university's sulcata grazes, and they're fine with Ronan playing there as well, but it will have to be supervised visits. Planning to make him a little "tortoise sweater" to which I can attach a light lead so he can stomp around without the risk of me losing track of him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't forget the bit about being unable ever to have a holiday again because no one wants the responsibility of looking after him!! So unless tort can go with you - you stay with him!
Or is that just me!!?:)

W Shaw

Don't forget the bit about being unable ever to have a holiday again because no one wants the responsibility of looking after him!! So unless tort can go with you - you stay with him!

Nope that's me too. I really have no one who could look after him. Then again, I've only ever left my cat overnight on maybe 3 occasions, but I don't get any vacation time from my job, so I really can't have holidays anyhow.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Nope that's me too. I really have no one who could look after him. Then again, I've only ever left my cat overnight on maybe 3 occasions, but I don't get any vacation time from my job, so I really can't have holidays anyhow.
I get lots of hols as a teacher but not been away for almost 2 years. I feel a bit cheeky asking people I usually would stay with if they mind me using their electricity to keep a tortoise warm! And not everyone wants a tort pooping in their house, even if it's contained.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Lucky for me (and my animals) I've never been one to want to go away for any length of time. My husband and I used to go on day trips, but once he was gone, I never even do that. I have turned into a hermit.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lucky for me (and my animals) I've never been one to want to go away for any length of time. My husband and I used to go on day trips, but once he was gone, I never even do that. I have turned into a hermit.
Yes my friends often comment on my reclusive existence since I've had a tort!
But I've never been a regular traveller. My passport expired 3 years ago was only used once in 10 years so I haven't bothered renewing it! I think a motorhome with a tort area may be the answer!!

gamera154

grand terrace ca
what i like the shell the face the cute little butt how he flips his food bowl when he's done by going under it then walking on it like he's the king of the world then he looks at me like what you lokin at how he has to dig up all the things in his indoor enclosure and just him in genral

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
A couple of years ago we took a 2 month trip during the summer. Left Charlie on his own in the yard. He had plenty of food from the grass and plants in our yard, and he had his burrow for shelter. My son came over every few days to fill up his water and check on him. He discovered the tortoise forum before I did!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my leopard was little, he felt like high maintenance and I worried much more. Like the baby Leo I have now. My bigger ones now live in a heated shed. Once everything is tweaked, it's quite easy, even here in the cold of Chicago and a little easier in the summer time. It will or should get easier once you got everything working just right.

Kori5

A problem for me, too. This summer my boyfriend and I went on our holiday vacation at the coast for two weeks. Our Hermann was left with my parents in yard where he spends half the year. But the problem is he is a picky eater, loves hand feeding etc. They didn't soak him, fed him tomatoes. There are tortoise friendly weeds in the yard for him but I was so worried! So I don't know what I'm gonna do this year :(

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I love their elephantine back legs, their roundness, their general quiet, how slowly they move, their little smooth heads and the wrinkly necks, the pointy pink tongues, the way I can just sit and watch him do nothing and be perfectly happy.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
I was never really interested in tortoises, but I wanted a larger reptile. We can't have any iguanas or snakes where we live, so we decided on the red foots. I am so glad we did! they have so much more personality than my other reptiles, and they are calming to watch and interact with. I love their stumpy legs, how they have claws instead of toes, and their little tongues.