What do you think about this Russian Tortoise? All Comments Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
What do you think about this Russian Tortoise? All Comments Welcome.image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Beak is overgrown and sure is dirty. Shell looks ok. There is a spot on plastron, by tail, looks like dirt, but if not could be an issue. Not good at the sex game, but think male. He has a very sweet face.
Did you just get him?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I don't do the best at seeing. But I think it's beak is too long, it seems extremely dry, the back half of the show looks kind of interesting, and I think it's a male.
So why are you asking? Did I get any of it right? :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Nothing right or wrong, just wanted overall impressions of this tort.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
overgrown beak looks male to me pretty big boy. looks like a wild caught import as well

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Beak is overgrown, but he sure is cute!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Other than actually holding the aforementioned tortoise, from what I see would be the beak. Does it need human intervention? I'm not convinced. Any problems eating or drinking? No?…leave as is. Problems?yes…get it ground. If grinding is needed, have a tortoise recommend Vetinerian teach you how so that in the the future, you will have this skill yourself.
Feed on a flat, abrasive rock to help the grinding of the beak to continue,"naturally". Personally I've never seen this work, but many on the forum call it good so I pass it on to you. Keep us updated, we love photos of tortoises and their pens, ( helps us help you.)
And continue to ask questions and retain answers, this way you can help other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks pretty good to me. Eyes are bright and alert. I'd trim the beak just a little and give it a good scrub, other than that he looks pretty good. You hardly ever see little Russian tortoises' shells in as good a shape as his is.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I can acquire this tortoise. I haven't planned on acquiring a Russian, but maybe I should. So I thought I'd see what shook out here in opinions and could add it to what I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks pretty good to me. If I were in the market for a Russian, it would be one I'd consider buying.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I think it looks good, like others said it needs a beak trim. I'm not sure I would trust someone who wears those shoes and socks with shorts though.:)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OK, now the rest of the story...

I had not planned on acquiring another tort. However, this one is one someone wants to rehome. He says it doesn't get along with his sulcatas. I was thinking about getting him to a better environment. I came across this while looking for a female three-toed boxie.

Status
Not open for further replies.