What do you think of this outdoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmit02

5 Year Member
Hi all,

So after some time with my tortoise and reading and reading here I have come to the conclusion that much as it pains me lol my Tortie boy needs and deserves to be outside!! I have been trying to research the best enclosure to fit our garden and situation (having 2 inquisitive dogs). I am thinking of doing what this person has here if you follow this you tube link I have this exact pool, this log hide, this water bowl etc. I would plant some Russian tortoise seed mix I have and supplement their feed to. I would need to drill some holes in the bottom of the pool too for water drainage. I would also put a metal dog run type fence round the pool to keep the dogs away. Do I need something over the top like mesh to prevent hawks etc attacking the tortoise? I live in NJ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtak-rh53j4

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
The pool-type enclosures are nice for the outdoors. You definitely do want a screen top, and some more shade though. I live in NJ as well, we have some big predatory birds and some hot days.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Those work well. Definitely make sure there is shade. Cover one side with a piece of wood.
Set up a beach umbrella over part of it.

And to prevent it from getting waterlogged during rain, drill holes in the bottom and cover with a mesh screen to hold soil in.

Even keeping your tort out there for a few hours will provide much needed sun.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have mine set up in these as well. Plenty of holes drilled through the bottom to allow rain water drainage, a plant pot saucer large enough for a tortoise to soak in, and an old recyclables bin flipped over with a doorway cut out for a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.