What does your Greek tortoise’s diet consist of?

Dallas

I’m just curious because I know they can eat such a wide array of things.

What types of things do you feed yours, rarely or often?

Thanks. Peace.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
My greek will eat just about anything. Dandelion leaves and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, rose of sharon flowers, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, optunia spineless cactus pads and flowers, chickory leaves and flowers, mallow leaves and flowers, dichondra, various clovers, various plantain, sow thistle, milk thistle (when it's younger; the older leaves are fairly bitter and spiny, so my guy tends to avoid them), goats beard, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, carrot greens, arugula, zucchini leaves and flowers, romaine lettuce... Lots of stuff. I grow so many different things that I rarely feed him the same thing two days in a row, unless I have an excess of a particular item due to seasonal abundance. I will feed fruit on occasion.

T.G.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Garden: Lots of weeds. Joe's out 24/7 and grazes dandelion and clovers growing in the lawn from preference. However, I have always said that I only have 3 types of plant in my garden:
1. Edible
2. Stomped on
3. Too big to be stomped so he has to (reluctantly) walk round them

Susan E

California
I have been wondering the same. I have been reading about what foods are safe, but haven't seen much about what is best. I bought a bunch of different seeds and plants to start growing for my newly adopted adult. I'm hoping just offering a variety will be good.

Should grass be part of his diet?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have been wondering the same. I have been reading about what foods are safe, but haven't seen much about what is best. I bought a bunch of different seeds and plants to start growing for my newly adopted adult. I'm hoping just offering a variety will be good.

Should grass be part of his diet?

Greeks don’t need grass as part of their diet unlike Sulcatas and Leopards

Mine ingested grass while grazing the weeds in the lawn, and it is clearly visible in poop when it is eaten, but it doesn’t need to be fed.

Just like you, your tort needs variety in its diet. There isn’t a “best”. All the things on Tom’s list make good tort food, and you feed as wide a range as possible. The season and your location will affect what is available.

It doesn’t need to be variety at a meal or over a day. Variety over a few weeks is just fine.

Look up what grows around you and what you can buy on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability. Post photos in the Plant ID forum if you need us to identify a plant for you.

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

This online database explains why something is or isn’t suitable and says whether it can be fed freely, fed in moderation, fed occasionally or must not be fed.

Here’s Tom’s list again:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Last edited:

Susan E

California
Greeks don’t need grass as part of their diet unlike Sulcatas and Leopards

Mine ingested grass while grazing the weeds in the lawn, and it is clearly visible in poop when it is eaten, but it doesn’t need to be fed.

Just like you, your tort needs variety in its diet. There isn’t a “best”. All the things on Tom’s list make good tort food, and you feed as wide a range as possible. The season and your location will affect what is available.

It doesn’t need to be variety at a meal or over a day. Variety over a few weeks is just fine.

Look up what grows around you and what you can by on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability. Post photos in the Plant ID forum if you need us to identify a plant for you.

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

This online database explains why something is or isn’t suitable and says whether it can be fed freely, fed in moderation, fed occasionally or must not be fed.

Here’s Tom’s list again:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard
Thanks! I just adopted him last Friday and I have been reading everything I can and using the tortoise table. I think I read myself to the point of being a little overwhelmed. So far he is a bit picky and turnip greens are his favorite but I'm planning to keep adding new foods to his diet until he accepts a variety. I live in the high desert in Southern California.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tortoise Forum mobile app