What edible plants to grow in tortoise yard?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Opuntia cactus, grass, rose of sharon, any of the squash plants, aloe, dandelion, roses, gazania, mallow, dichondra, pansies - the list is long. You can ask my friend, Google, for a list of edible plants for your tortoise and he'll tell you many more than this.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Opuntia cactus, grass, rose of sharon, any of the squash plants, aloe, dandelion, roses, gazania, mallow, dichondra, pansies - the list is long. You can ask my friend, Google, for a list of edible plants for your tortoise and he'll tell you many more than this.
I had to ask your friend google because there is not a current care sheet for Gopherus agassizii on this forum...

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This is a helpful database I grow hibiscus and courgette as they eat the flowers.

Bowi

Ca

Googles very helpful, I’m just asking because there’s so much as you’ve said, I needed to narrow it down. Id like to plant things tortoise can graze on freely besides grass. Things that will continue to regrow rapidly so he has a supply ready most always of soemthing.

Southern California
I recently adopted an adult female G. agassizii. I ordered some native desert seeds from the Theodore Payne Foundation. They have a Desert Tortoise mix that includes: Purple Owl's Clover, California Buckwheat, Goldfields, Chia, Apricot Mallow, Desert Needlegrass, and Indian Ricegrass. I also grabbed individually Desert Dandelion, and an extra packet Apricot Mallow.

I plan to plant these inside her enclosure as well as clover, plantain, and nettle once she goes into brumation for next year.

Meena

Orange County, CA
I am new here, but I wanted to share I added a small aloe plant to my enclosure. I buried it in it's pot into the substrate. She's only a baby but she's knocked it around a bit, never taken a chomp tho.

I also use clover which grows rapidly. Once a week I pick some clovers from my yard for her, it grows everywhere that's wet and shady so it's easy. They are high in protein which is great for her since she's a baby.

Bowi

Ca
I recently adopted an adult female G. agassizii. I ordered some native desert seeds from the Theodore Payne Foundation. They have a Desert Tortoise mix that includes: Purple Owl's Clover, California Buckwheat, Goldfields, Chia, Apricot Mallow, Desert Needlegrass, and Indian Ricegrass. I also grabbed individually Desert Dandelion, and an extra packet Apricot Mallow.

I plan to plant these inside her enclosure as well as clover, plantain, and nettle once she goes into brumation for next year.
Thank you! I actually ordered some of that same mix thanks to recommendation from where I’m adopting :)

Bowi

Ca
I am new here, but I wanted to share I added a small aloe plant to my enclosure. I buried it in it's pot into the substrate. She's only a baby but she's knocked it around a bit, never taken a chomp tho.

I also use clover which grows rapidly. Once a week I pick some clovers from my yard for her, it grows everywhere that's wet and shady so it's easy. They are high in protein which is great for her since she's a baby.

Thank you! I found found some clover growing randomly in places that my tortoise won’t be. So I transplanted it to the side of the yard where we will be keeping ours! Hoping it makes it 🙏🏻

bioteach

10 Year Member!
The list is long! One thing that I learned, is that if a tortoise finds a particular food item it favors it will totally destroy it to the roots! At the suggestion of my vet, I purchased some landscaping blocks about 6 inches high that fit together to make a circle or whatever shape you like. I plant my girl's favorites inside of those and let the leaves hang over the edge. Even when Sunshine goes to town on a plant, the roots are usually spared and it will grow back.