What enclosure should I get?

Brian Nicoleau

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I use a CHE with both of my bearded dragon enclosures. Each bearded dragon tank has a heavy duty metal screen lid, and the CHE (in a fixture) either sits on top of the heavy duty metal screen lid or hangs just above the lid (from a Zoo Med light stand).

Each CHE is on a thermostat to make sure the CHE turns OFF when the enclosure gets TOO HOT.

Please note, my bearded dragons do not need (or want) the same humidity that redfoots and hatchling tortoises need. I don't have any closed chamber setups in my house because I don't have any tortoises or hatchling tortoises. The care requirements for my turtles are very different. My mud turtles and young spotted turtles spend almost all of their time in water, so they don't need any kind of closed chamber to keep in the humidity. :p My box turtle has her very own pool in her indoor enclosure, and she likes her air and ground temperatures cooler in the winter than a tropical tortoise like a redfoot would. I mention all that to say that I'm NOT experienced with closed chamber setups, so it's really important that you spend time reading the threads and posts from people who ARE. :)
What thermostat do you use and how to set it up?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
There's roughly 4 liters to a U.S. gallon, and I would aim for at least 50 gallons (bigger is better)... So more than 200 liters. Look at the number for gallons on the label and try for 50 gallons or more. To give you an idea, those size containers are usually close to a meter long, maybe 45 to 50 cm high and wide.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
There's roughly 4 liters to a U.S. gallon, and I would aim for at least 50 gallons (bigger is better)... So more than 200 liters. Look at the number for gallons on the label and try for 50 gallons or more. To give you an idea, those size containers are usually close to a meter long, maybe 45 to 50 cm high and wide.
Ok uh what thermostat do you use? So when I’m not home I don’t have to risk my tortoise being overheated

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The thermostat I use is the one pictured in this thread: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-thermostat-should-i-use.148814/

I checked Petco's website, and they're out of stock. :(
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controllers

Fortunately, LLLReptile has the 500 watt version for $26.99 (plus shipping). :)
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13882-zilla-500-watt-temperature-controller
You should not need more than 500 watt capacity with a plastic storage bin type enclosure.

Note: You get it sooner if you can find it locally. Otherwise you will need to order it online. So...

Check your local Petco and see if they happen to have a Zilla 500 Watt Temperature Controller (or another wattage or something similar) in stock.

If your local Petco has this exact product, ask them to price match LLLReptile's price of $26.99.

Petco is usually willing to price match, but you do have to ask, and it usually goes faster if you have a picture or printout of the product showing the lower price elsewhere. Or you can show them the website with the lower price on a phone.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
uhh why is my tortoise hiding in the corner of my own maybe it wants heat? also my ceramic heater broke the other day and i wanted to finish off my enclosure today but sadly it broke ill buy a new one tomorrow so please dont get heated ad me my parents just didnt want to go to petsmart also my mother wanted to buy one off of ebay for 7 dollars but it comes in 7 days so i just wanted to do it now than later

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
The thermostat I use is the one pictured in this thread: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-thermostat-should-i-use.148814/

I checked Petco's website, and they're out of stock. :(
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controllers

Fortunately, LLLReptile has the 500 watt version for $26.99 (plus shipping). :)
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13882-zilla-500-watt-temperature-controller
You should not need more than 500 watt capacity with a plastic storage bin type enclosure.

Note: You get it sooner if you can find it locally. Otherwise you will need to order it online. So...

Check your local Petco and see if they happen to have a Zilla 500 Watt Temperature Controller (or another wattage or something similar) in stock.

If your local Petco has this exact product, ask them to price match LLLReptile's price of $26.99.

Petco is usually willing to price match, but you do have to ask, and it usually goes faster if you have a picture or printout of the product showing the lower price elsewhere. Or you can show them the website with the lower price on a phone.
so if i buy the zilla should i not buy a thermometer

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Small turtles and tortoises in the wild are prey for many animals larger than they are. Many of them spend a LOT of time hiding when they are little.

Is there someplace it can hide? Even a small cardboard box with an opening cut in the side (right at ground level) might give it someplace to feel safer.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Small turtles and tortoises in the wild are prey for many animals larger than they are. Many of them spend a LOT of time hiding when they are little.

Is there someplace it can hide? Even a small cardboard box with an opening cut in the side (right at ground level) might give it someplace to feel safer.
yes i got it a half log but since i dont have any heater cause it broke and here its super hot i have the ac on and its very hot in here without it

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
but i have the uv light on

i heard the zilla jumpstart is more accurate at temperature

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
so if i buy the zilla should i not buy a thermometer
Actually, you need both.

The thermostat does have a temperature probe to help the thermostat know when to turn the CHE off and on. The thermostat's temperature probe stays basically in one spot in the enclosure. (After you experiment a little bit to figure out where the right spot to put the temperature probe is.)

However, you need a separate thermometer so you can check and compare the temperatures in different parts of the enclosure and elsewhere. If you go for an infrared thermometer or temperature gun (same thing), it would be versatile. You just need to shop around... What you need should cost under $30.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electri...cal-Testers-Infrared-Thermometer/N-5yc1vZchjg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
i heard the zilla jumpstart is more accurate at temperature
It's completely up to you as to which interface and features you prefer in a thermostat. :) Either the Zilla or the Jumpstart thermostat should be fine.

Either way, you still need a separate thermometer. If you get a portable infrared or laser thermometer, you can even check the temperature on the top of your hatchling's carapace (shell).

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Something like this would do what you need in a thermometer. There are other versions and brands with different features, and if course some features are more expensive.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Mini-Infrared-Thermometer-IRT205/303305337

There are also infrared or laser thermometers that don't look like "guns," if that's an issue or anything. You can find those types of thermometers from the companies that make and sell reptile products (like Zoo Med, Zilla, and others).

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Actually, you need both.

The thermostat does have a temperature probe to help the thermostat know when to turn the CHE off and on. The thermostat's temperature probe stays basically in one spot in the enclosure. (After you experiment a little bit to figure out where the right spot to put the temperature probe is.)

However, you need a separate thermometer so you can check and compare the temperatures in different parts of the enclosure and elsewhere. If you go for an infrared thermometer or temperature gun (same thing), it would be versatile. You just need to shop around... What you need should cost under $30.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electri...cal-Testers-Infrared-Thermometer/N-5yc1vZchjg
well the one on the reviews say that it doesnt work like its at 3 stars should i still buy it?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
well the one on the reviews say that it doesnt work like its at 3 stars should i still buy it?
You may find better suggestions in this thread:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/can-someone-recommend-a-good-temperature-gun.173355/
Some of these are over $30, but they have more features.
Take a look at the bottom of that thread. I will tell you that @jsheffield has a gift for finding products that tend to be easy to use, reliable, and not painfully expensive. :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
You may find better suggestions in this thread:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/can-someone-recommend-a-good-temperature-gun.173355/
Some of these are over $30, but they have more features.
Take a look at the bottom of that thread. I will tell you that @jsheffield has a gift for finding products that tend to be easy to use, reliable, and not painfully expensive. :)
I've been very pleased with this temperature gun:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Time for another enclosure update, complete with pix. This thread is getting long & confusing. Harder & harder to provide good info with so many questions. So, maybe do a full stop and update us all with what you have, what you still need. Enclosure, lid, lights, heating, plants, substrate, etc.

By now, you should be dialing in the proper heat, light, humidity levels. Remember, your little Redfoot needed all of this last week, so we need to get things all set up. The sooner the better for your tortoise.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Time for another enclosure update, complete with pix. This thread is getting long & confusing. Harder & harder to provide good info with so many questions. So, maybe do a full stop and update us all with what you have, what you still need. Enclosure, lid, lights, heating, plants, substrate, etc.

By now, you should be dialing in the proper heat, light, humidity levels. Remember, your little Redfoot needed all of this last week, so we need to get things all set up. The sooner the better for your tortoise.
Yeah dw its good I’ll go get a ceramic heAter, a thermostat the temp gun and the one that measures humidity