Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
no these are NOT Sasoy and Makidach...

this one is about 6.5-7 inches (give or take)
103_3893.jpg

this one is about 5.5 inches
103_3889.jpg

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Let me guess... BOTH female! Am I right?

AST-Loch

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would have said the first is male, the bottom female.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I like the red on the top one :D but both of them are females Kelly ;)

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Rofl well OF COURSE they are. Because I have the best luck finding FEMALES.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Well I guess I can unveil them now... these were a RESCUE, really... even tho' they were from a store... because they NEEDED saving!! I was looking at them and asked to handle them. Through talking with the young sales clerk, I found out they had been in that store for at least TEN MONTHS. Well he called the manager for me and said I might be interested in one of them. The manager offered me 10% off the second if I got BOTH, then 15 % off and when that didn't sway me (secretly it did but I played like..."um, naaah"), he knocked 50% off of one if I'd get them both. They desperately wanted them gone... yah after ten months of living in a dry 20 gallon aquarium, sheesh these two needed a break! So I gave in. And I highly doubt this store will think about getting more Red-Foots since it took them SOOOO long to sell these two!

I haven't measured them properly yet but gave size guestimates above. Both shells look great on the top (carapace? learning the terms still...) BUT the bigger one has a split scute, andt she had some serious issues with her plastron at some point! I'll post a pic. It looks worse in the pic, in person it's not gooey or sticky or soft, it's pretty much healed but definately was some bad wounds (or rot????)

We'll see how they do in the next two weeks...

This first pic you can see the split scute (top right scute), I know it's nothing physically bad just not as aesthetically pleasing...
103_3903.jpg

103_3887.jpg

This big one has AWESOME coloring on her head!
103_3885.jpg

103_3899.jpg

Here's the plastron of the big one... EEEEK but it doesn't appear to bother her at all. And like I said it's not gooey or anything so must be an old wound... what do you think it's from?!?!
103_3891.jpg

103_3892.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Oh Kelly - You are such a good tort mom! You are lucky. Not that I like to see them in pet shops, but I can hardly find anything here in NJ.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have beaten myself up over getting Russians at the petstore before. But with Torts like these that sit there for MONTHS on end in poor conditions... sometimes you just gotta!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Kelly - it was good that you saved them. Who knows where they would be a few months from now. They are beautiful!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm glad you have them Kelly. :D That is or was shell rot Kelly. If there is no redness or smell it's already healed. The fact she was dry probably saved her life.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
What actually causes shell rot? Does it only occur on their bellies or can it occur anywhere?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Shell rot can occur anywhere Dee. It can happen from a breach to the scute material exposing the bone underneath which lets in bacteria or from repeated blows to the shell in the same spot (ramming from mating) causing a blister and usually surface shell rot.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks Danny! That's what I kind of figured, but I did not know if substrate had any role in causing it.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
egyptiandan said:
I'm glad you have them Kelly. :D That is or was shell rot Kelly. If there is no redness or smell it's already healed. The fact she was dry probably saved her life.

Danny

Yep it appears to have healed now. Will keeping her in the appropriate moist environment be okay now? It won't make the rot resurface, will it?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I can't tell but does she have any marks on carapace? The fact that the two wounds are on a parallel plane make me think she had an encounter with a mammal predator. They look like canines with the roundness. She is beatiful and appears to have been wild caught.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She is gorgeous, isn't she?!! In the full shot of her plastron, you can see another old rot wound higher up. Then on her carapace along the edge scutes she has a couple of very small spots that are likely that, as well. But yes I was wondering since those two large wounds are parallel if that was a likelyhood.

She's a nice girl, of course she's still shy and hiding out, but when I pick her up, she stretches her head out and stretches her arms out and looks around. She has some freaskishly long arms (at least compared to what I'm used to)! LOL! I think in time, when she settles in, she'll by quite a sweetheart! (Oh, I've named her Shuto, btw.)

The smaller one - who I've named Ashi - is much more timid and shy and sucks her head in when I pick her up.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I bet she has quite a story to tell. Truthfully I don't think shell rot is a big issue with her. I fought the shell rot battle (in fact am now with one of my stars) and it just doesn't look like what I'm familiar with. I once had a toadhead that had scars like that and I could tell you how big the cat was and it was a short muzzled carnivore.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats Kelly, they are beautiful. Im glad you picked them up, they will have a great life now thats for sure.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
They are beautiful Kelly. Nice dark shells.
You sure are a torty junky now huh....ROFL ( shh , so am I )

Status
Not open for further replies.