What happen to my turtle's shell and eyes?

NKK

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello this is my first time posting on this forum, sorry if i make a mistake. My turtle has been sick for a few months now, i have tried consulting with vets before but nothing helps to cure my turtle. Can someone please help me identify what exactly is my turtle's problem? And how to cure it :(

First, my turtle's shell is shedding but right after the skin shed, white spots appear on the new healthy skin and the rest of the shell is kinda pale.

Second, my turtle's eyelids are swollen but he still can open his eyes. (Just like on the picture) He always scratch his eyes and having trouble eating. I tried giving him eyedrops that the vet gave me before, but nothing happened.

Attachments

• 20220521_231317.jpg
    20220521_231317.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220521_231225.jpg
    20220521_231225.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Dcatalano

Colorado
I'm not an expert and I'm sure you'll get more information from others soon... I'm wondering what type of light you have for this guy? Also, possibly send pictures of his set up so other aquatic turtle people might have some insight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He needs a place where he can climb out of the water and sit in the sun or a good UVB light to dry off and warm up. Once he's able to warm up his inner core the eyes will look better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello this is my first time posting on this forum, sorry if i make a mistake. My turtle has been sick for a few months now, i have tried consulting with vets before but nothing helps to cure my turtle. Can someone please help me identify what exactly is my turtle's problem? And how to cure it :(

First, my turtle's shell is shedding but right after the skin shed, white spots appear on the new healthy skin and the rest of the shell is kinda pale.

Second, my turtle's eyelids are swollen but he still can open his eyes. (Just like on the picture) He always scratch his eyes and having trouble eating. I tried giving him eyedrops that the vet gave me before, but nothing happened.
We need some more info.

What size enclosure?
What is the water temperature?
Do you have a "haul out" area where the turtle can get out of the water, dry off and bask?
What type of basking lamp and what is the temperature directly under it?
What type of UV bulb are you using?
What types of food do you offer?

NKK

Indonesia
I'm not an expert and I'm sure you'll get more information from others soon... I'm wondering what type of light you have for this guy? Also, possibly send pictures of his set up so other aquatic turtle people might have some insight.
Thank you so much for the reply! I use 25W UVA+UVB 3.0 heating lamp for my turtle. The first picture is where he lived before. I moved him to a smaller place (second picture) after he got sick.

Attachments

• 20220504_172305.jpg
    20220504_172305.jpg
    835.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220521_171304.jpg
    20220521_171304.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 8

NKK

Indonesia
He needs a place where he can climb out of the water and sit in the sun or a good UVB light to dry off and warm up. Once he's able to warm up his inner core the eyes will look better.
Thank you so much for the advice! I give him a basking area but he never use it. Maybe it's because he's still scared around humans.

NKK

Indonesia
We need some more info.

What size enclosure?
What is the water temperature?
Do you have a "haul out" area where the turtle can get out of the water, dry off and bask?
What type of basking lamp and what is the temperature directly under it?
What type of UV bulb are you using?
What types of food do you offer?
Thank you for the reply!

1. Right now, I put him on a 40x30cm container. (His size is around 2 inch)

2. I don't know the exact number since I don't have a water thermometer for my turtle, but the climate where I live is quite hot so usually water is around 25°C - 32°C.

3. Yes, i provide a basking area for my turtle. But he rarely use it and spend his time hiding around the filter.

4. I use 25W UVA+UVB 3.0 heating lamp for my turtle.

5. I feed him turtle pellet food mostly and dried shrimp for snack sometimes. I tried giving him lettuce and carrots but he never eat them.

Here I attached a few pictures of my turtle's set up. The first picture is where he lived before. I moved him to a smaller place (second picture) after he got sick.

Attachments

• 20220504_172305.jpg
    20220504_172305.jpg
    835.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220521_171304.jpg
    20220521_171304.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 4

nootnootbu

USA
I think your basking light needs to be closer to where he's sitting on the rocks there as that looks like where he would bask. Make 100% sure your light provides UVA and UVB. There is a medication they make called 'turtle fix' which you might try adding to his water. Also, make sure you are NOT using chlorinated water for his enclosure. Use bottled purified/filtered water for him. Chlorine irritates their eyes and shell. He should get all the nutrition he needs from his pellets and treats as long as you're feeding him enough.

NKK

Indonesia
I think your basking light needs to be closer to where he's sitting on the rocks there as that looks like where he would bask. Make 100% sure your light provides UVA and UVB. There is a medication they make called 'turtle fix' which you might try adding to his water. Also, make sure you are NOT using chlorinated water for his enclosure. Use bottled purified/filtered water for him. Chlorine irritates their eyes and shell. He should get all the nutrition he needs from his pellets and treats as long as you're feeding him enough.
I've tried putting the basking light closer and he's starting to bask! thank you so much for the advice 🥰

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yes, your little guy is COLD!! Be careful though, don't cook him but he is one cold looking little guy!

Once you get him nice and warm, he should react by being HUNGRY!!

Good for you for signing up and helping your little guy!!

Good luck!

jeff