What happened to my tortoise

mikep031320

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I keep my tortoise outside, and after he was done hibernating I noticed he wasn't able to open his eyes. Next thing you know one of his eyes has a blue film over it. I presumed he went blind in that eye, next thing you know, the other eye does the same thing. After a week, he went completely blind while losing weight. He is able to eat well, and has no issue being blind and active despite being really skinny not being able to see. I was hoping to look for answers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of tortoise? Did it freeze at night where you live? Sounds like frozen eyes.

mikep031320

Tucson
What kind of tortoise? Did it freeze at night where you live? Sounds like frozen eyes.
I live in Arizona and there are low temp nights, I usually have been leaving him to his burrow, which has worked for the six winters Ive had him. But could a harsh night leave him to losing weight over time as well? He eats well, I'll see him eat at our grass, but no gain in weight sadly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
he is a sulcata
Who told you sulcatas can live outside in winter with no heat? Go smack that person upside the head and let them know they've blinded and likely killed your tortoise.

Sulcatas come from the tropics. There is no winter. No cold temps ever. A cold winter day in sulcata land might drop as low as 68 and only have a high of 88. Most days are near 100 with 80 degree nights.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Have a vet check for parasites or worms. That might be the reason for no weight gain. You are lucky your sully made it through 6 winters.
Don't let the vet give any vitamin shots

LDB

5 Year Member
Who told you sulcatas can live outside in winter with no heat? Go smack that person upside the head and let them know they've blinded and likely killed your tortoise.

Sulcatas come from the tropics. There is no winter. No cold temps ever. A cold winter day in sulcata land might drop as low as 68 and only have a high of 88. Most days are near 100 with 80 degree nights.
Absolutely correct. Sulcatas do not hibernate. This tortiose has been slowly dying every winter. Probably has multiple organ failure at this time.