What happens if a Russian tortoise is exposed to 24/7 light?

Marzfisch

Location (City and/or State)
Hemlock
Hello, my name is Marshall,

I am brand new to Tortoise Forum, but I need help.

I have an 'associate' that has possession of young one-eyed Russian Tortoise. I suspect the tortoise is about 4 inches in length, maybe a little less. I haven't identified it as a male or female, but the 'associate' is under the impression it is a female, and the tortoise is named Fiona. I have no idea what happened to her eye. She is VERY lethargic, and I don't think she is eating.

Today I cleaned out Fiona's habitat. It's humble and low budget, containing only a shallow water dish, and a small, even shallower food dish with only partially chopped salad greens purchased in the supermarket. The salad greens dry up quickly, and I suspect Fiona is not eating much, if any...

I did some research and suspected she needed a UVB light, due to calcium metabolism requiring sufficient vitamin D levels which are produced from UVB spectrum. Please correct me if that is not true.

Anyways, I bought Fiona a compact florescent UVB light, a thermometer, a 3rd dish to hold tortoise food I bought, and I bought her Cal+Mag supplement for her water.

Fiona's tank read 70°f when I left, and I am not happy with that temperature. I have read Fiona would prefer to be around 80°f. Is that correct?

Also, as the caption reads, and as my biggest concern is her light is on 24/7, it is not on a timer and never turns off. The light is a heat producing light and is kept on all night to keep Fiona warm, but I suspect between the lack of UVB light and the 24-hour light cycle, she is experiencing some medical issues.

I have just recently gotten to meet Fiona and am willing to go pretty far to make sure Fiona is taken proper care of. The budget is limited to a point, and the house for the tortoise cannot be changed until I find her a new home.

I do not own the tortoise, but I have much power over what happens to her.

Please help, I am not a reptile expert, but I will do anything in my power to improve this animals life.

Love,

Marshall

P.S. I understand this may deeply upset some of you, as it upsets me greatly. It would be awesome if we could focus this thread on trying to help this tortoise in any way we can. I understand any frustration and I don't disagree!

IMG_20200105_181040.jpg IMG_20200105_181047.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The compact light causes eye problems so stop using it. Get a tube florescent uvb or a mercury vapor uvb bulb. The temp should he 75-80 during the day with a basking spot of 95-100 and temps into the low 60's at night with all lights off. She needs an enclosure no smaller then a 4x8 foot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree.
Tube florescent UVB or a few hours of daylight (not through a glass window.)
Also, you should provide night time heat with a CHE. (Ceramic heat emitter) they provide heat but no light.
Night time needs to be dark.

20190922_193238.jpg 20190922_161912.jpg 20181206_163754.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read our care sheet for Russian tortoises: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

You're correct in assuming the light shouldn't be on all the time. It's probably pretty stressful to the tortoise to be living in the land of the Midnight Sun.

It's good that you have taken over the care of the tortoise. There's much that needs to be improved, as you'll see when you read the care sheet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, my name is Marshall,

I am brand new to Tortoise Forum, but I need help.

I have an 'associate' that has possession of young one-eyed Russian Tortoise. I suspect the tortoise is about 4 inches in length, maybe a little less. I haven't identified it as a male or female, but the 'associate' is under the impression it is a female, and the tortoise is named Fiona. I have no idea what happened to her eye. She is VERY lethargic, and I don't think she is eating.

Today I cleaned out Fiona's habitat. It's humble and low budget, containing only a shallow water dish, and a small, even shallower food dish with only partially chopped salad greens purchased in the supermarket. The salad greens dry up quickly, and I suspect Fiona is not eating much, if any...

I did some research and suspected she needed a UVB light, due to calcium metabolism requiring sufficient vitamin D levels which are produced from UVB spectrum. Please correct me if that is not true.

Anyways, I bought Fiona a compact florescent UVB light, a thermometer, a 3rd dish to hold tortoise food I bought, and I bought her Cal+Mag supplement for her water.

Fiona's tank read 70°f when I left, and I am not happy with that temperature. I have read Fiona would prefer to be around 80°f. Is that correct?

Also, as the caption reads, and as my biggest concern is her light is on 24/7, it is not on a timer and never turns off. The light is a heat producing light and is kept on all night to keep Fiona warm, but I suspect between the lack of UVB light and the 24-hour light cycle, she is experiencing some medical issues.

I have just recently gotten to meet Fiona and am willing to go pretty far to make sure Fiona is taken proper care of. The budget is limited to a point, and the house for the tortoise cannot be changed until I find her a new home.

I do not own the tortoise, but I have much power over what happens to her.

Please help, I am not a reptile expert, but I will do anything in my power to improve this animals life.

Love,

Marshall

P.S. I understand this may deeply upset some of you, as it upsets me greatly. It would be awesome if we could focus this thread on trying to help this tortoise in any way we can. I understand any frustration and I don't disagree!

Just one more voice agreeing with each of the previous posters here on your thread. Here is one more thread with some general tortoise info to help you out:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

los angeles
I had the same problem with my Russian tortoise when i got her, she was lethargic and not eating anything. when i came here to this forum I followed all the instructions all these wonderful people had to say. my tortoise felt good immediately. i was shocked to see how much a difference a light bulb can make in a reptiles life. Thank you everybody.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you for helping this tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Poor little thing but she is lucky to have you now and you are doing your best for this little one and have come to the right place. You'll get very good advice and information that will make her healthier and happier. The caresheet will help with everything and you can ask as many questions as you need. Check here before buying anything as pet stores often sell expensive, unnecessary and sometimes unsafe equipment for profit whereas everyone here just has the best interests of torts at heart.

Make sure the enclosure also has a cooler area for her to move to if she needs to move away from the heat and she may find a cheap terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate easier to access to self soak - try sinking the one you have first though.
She would probably enjoy a warm soak too. Use something cat litter tray shaped, a bowl or container big enough for her to stretch out and even move about in, (chemical free) with luke warm water up to the level of her chin. She may pee and pass urates in it, or even poop. If so change the water. and don't let it get cold. My tort loves his baths as you can see from my pic (pebbles aren't necessary though).
Good luck and keep us updated.