What I Fed My Tortoise Today...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Are figs okay for leopard tortoises? Or fig leaves?

Figs are okay occasionally as a treat, good source of calcium.

Fig leaves are also fine. The sap map be an irritant, tho I think that's more to human skin than to reptiles.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Figs are okay occasionally as a treat, good source of calcium.

Fig leaves are also fine. The sap map be an irritant, tho I think that's more to human skin than to reptiles.
Are their multiple types of "fig trees" common in the US, and are all of them safe?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Are their multiple types of "fig trees" common in the US, and are all of them safe?

There are many varieties of figs. At one point I had close to maybe 30 different types growing here in pots & in ground in Maryland. But, the leaves & sap are all pretty much the same. The white “sap” in fresh leaves & stems is caustic, and the sap is an irritant to some folks. I have many fig trees, but don’t feed any leaves to our Sully.

➡️➡️ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6340245/

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Part of that depends on how you define "fig tree." Ficus species include a number of ornamental plants like weeping fig (Ficus benjamina) and rubber plant (Ficus elastica), as well as the kinds of figs with edible fruits. I've seen and dealt with the sap that comes out of the ornamental varieties, and I agree with @Maro2Bear about not feeding those.

Zoeclare

Uk
This could be an old wives tale but I was under the assumption if you get the sap on your skin and then expose the skin to sunlight it causes irritation and burning, but that's only from pruning etc not handling the fruits

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Chicory, dandelion, broad and narrow leaf plantain, clover, green leaf lettuce, soursop, cactus flour, rose petals, stinging nettle, marshmallow and some other dried herbs I can’t think of at the moment. Smells great but tastes terrible ?

74D86A64-CAB8-445B-AFE0-78652C36B29A.jpeg
A536B9B7-2C49-4A0A-B16C-768324B43C1C.jpeg
79E1BD21-2BE3-45DF-83A8-5B33A9369E11.jpeg
CC3C4FE0-2E5C-4FB1-8788-1F31440B249A.jpeg

SPILL

Illinois
Today was endive, escarole, radicchio, yam leaf, moringa drumsticks, ong choy, and tong ho with dried echinacea and alfalfa.

imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

Mons

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Today I fed Shelly dandelion greens, endives, watercress, dried mulberry leaves, dried hibiscus, dried rose petals, timothy hay, red romaine lettuce, and cactus, with a teeny tiny sprinkle of Miner-All cuz I think I saw him nibbling at slate and substrate earlier this week. I added some Mazuri-esque crumbly topping a little later that came with my order from Kapidolo Farms.

20210130_110436.jpg