What I Fed My Tortoise Today...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yesterday I gave Koopa ( 6 1/2 yr old Sulcata) a 4 ft pumpkin vine with huge leaves and a bucket of fresh cut Bermuda. Today I opened up (first time
She’s seen it) her new lawn extension in her enclosure that is all lovely Bermuda. After 20 mins in the new area, she did her “run” back to her shed. Never came out again today. She didn’t visit her water today.. new area stressed her our and she decided to hide all day.
Sulcatas really don't like change, but they get over it rather quick most times. It took a couple weeks for mine to get used to his new outdoor enclosure though.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Cool, if not original, idea.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
This post has been a fun read with everyone giving what they feed. Very nice change from all going around us.
Today my Russian had snapdragon flowers and leaves, mallow, dandelions, ralish seed heads and flowers, prickly sow thistle and cactus, with miner-all.
She then peed on all, then hid under weeds and off for a nice nap. Can you find her?20200720_140006.jpg

Last edited:

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
This post has been a fun read with everyone giving what they feed. Very nice change from all going around us.
Today my Russian had snapdragon flowers and leaves, mallow, dandelions, ralish seed heads and flowers, prickly sow thistle and cactus, with miner-all.
She then peed on all, then hid under weeds and off for a nice nap. Can you find her?View attachment 300653
Peed on all ????

137168EC-3974-4B6A-88D5-023BC288B921.jpeg?here maybe.... ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are those tortoise pellets good for Russian torts??
Yes. Any of the ZooMed Pellets, Grassland, Forest or Gourmet, are good as part of a varied diet for any species. Its a great way to add variety and fiber to grocery store greens.

Rogue097

Tennessee
Today I fed my Russian a mix of escarole, radicchio, and collard greens. Mixed with some mashed pellets and a sprinkling of herbal hay, both from Tortoise Supply.
Although what he actually ate was the escarole, because he keeps picking through everything else...?‍♀️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today I fed my Russian a mix of escarole, radicchio, and collard greens. Mixed with some mashed pellets and a sprinkling of herbal hay, both from Tortoise Supply.
Although what he actually ate was the escarole, because he keeps picking through everything else...?‍♀️
It takes weeks or months for them to get used to the mix-ins. He'll eventually start to like them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I didn't take photos. But today was red and pink hibiscus flowers, blueberries and grape tomatoes for my Redfoot torts.
I like to watch them search and find the berries in the grass, etc.
I feed hibiscus leaves and flowers as part of the diet almost every day this time of year because there are dozens of new flowers every day.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

Cool, if not original, idea.
Yes; perhaps we can get them merged.

turtlebean

Connecticut
this is absolutely my new favorite thread!! seeing what all of you feed your little ones gives me tons of ideas and inspiration for tortillini!! :)

today he had his favorite (escarole), mixed with a pinch of calcium powder, a couple of dried flowers, some mulberry leaves, an inch or two of a cactus pad (he’s sitting on it LOL) and some broadleaf weeds! B6FE939C-B186-4AE9-B7C9-0D29BE8AF865.jpeg

Plate presentation was a solid 9/10 but Tortillini prefers his food laid on and trampled before it can be eaten;)

Quick

United Kingdom
What a great thread. I’ve really enjoyed reading what everybody is feeding their tortoises - it’s given me lots of new things to try!

Every Saturday morning I take myself off foraging and see what I can find. On the menu this week is dandelion, sowthistle, ribwort (plantain), kidney weed, cilantro and knapweed. I also add a little soaked Zoo Med each morning (she’s fussy and won’t eat it unless it’s freshly soaked ?)

Attachments

• F4B3528C-0E95-49E9-99F2-3FD9A75332A3.jpeg
    F4B3528C-0E95-49E9-99F2-3FD9A75332A3.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 4

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This week Sulafat will be served endive & radicchio (50% of meal), with any combo of the following sides: dandelion, mustard, collards, arugula, bok choy, mulberry leaves, a Mazuri pellet every other day or so, calcium & vitamin supplements, and all topped with fresh snips of young wheatgrass.

20200725_154525.jpg