What I Fed My Tortoise Today...

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
The ladies had broadleafs, spring mix, dandelion, and cucumber soaked zoo med pellets. I threw them roses petals while gardening too. Oh and a leftover sweet potato, it was fridge cleaning day.

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
Son, the desert tortoise, got green beans (favorite!), broccoli, mulberry leaves, spring mix, grape leaves. Juliet, the Russian, got green beans, cauliflower, mustard greens, kale and spring mix.

Nash

5 Year Member
S. New Mexico
Thats a good looking Sully.
Thank you Maro2Bear.

Nash just finished his Mazuri and is getting a treat of pumpkin, he's got honeysuckle to his left, behind him grass, clover, and weeds. Other desserts when I'm in his garden are grape, mulberry, pumpkin, and butternut squash leaves around the corner, as well as chard with roses, nasturtiums, marigold, mums, hollyhock and geraniums on the side. Up the hill a spineless opuntia cactus. He pretty much just forages and follows me around waiting for me to drop something. I guess you can tell I made my front yard into HIS habitat.

Nash

5 Year Member
S. New Mexico
He wouldn't have looked as good as he does if it wasn't for all of you through out the years, giving your good advice!

Adam_89

Manchester
Fresh greens, some dandelions from the garden and some of my home grown weeds (which have shot up in a matter of days - pic below)
And some small chunks of cucumber!

IMG_20200719_073510.jpg

IMG_20200719_223247.jpg

Idahorosie1

EL PASO
I give my box turtles live meal worms and he/she comes over to me as soon as I open the top of the enclosure. They love to hunt down the worms. I also gave flower topper from ZooMed and rose petals, chamamile buds, along with the turtle chow.
I offer fresh veggies but have difficulty getting them to eat it.
I give the red slider turtles dried meal worms and turtle chow.
I give the baby red slider cooked shrimp along with floating aquatic chow. I show the baby turtle the food can through the aquarium glass before I put the food in the water. It starts rapidly waving its front legs and swims to the surface to get the food. I think it recognizes the food can and knows I am going to feed it. Our way of communicating.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Here are the before and after pictures of a typical daily spread: aloe vera, soaked Mazuri, Italian parsley and other mixed greens from backyard, hibiscus flowers, hollyhock leaves, sunflower leaf (moderation only), Russian sage, Blue sage, rose petals, And for snacking...the grass.

Attachments

• IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Today my Russian, Merlina had squash flower, hawksbit, mallow, dandelions, and grape leaf.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Yesterday I gave Koopa ( 6 1/2 yr old Sulcata) a 4 ft pumpkin vine with huge leaves and a bucket of fresh cut Bermuda. Today I opened up (first time
She’s seen it) her new lawn extension in her enclosure that is all lovely Bermuda. After 20 mins in the new area, she did her “run” back to her shed. Never came out again today. She didn’t visit her water today.. new area stressed her our and she decided to hide all day.

JenC

Horseshoe Bay TX
Thank you Maro2Bear.

Nash just finished his Mazuri and is getting a treat of pumpkin, he's got honeysuckle to his left, behind him grass, clover, and weeds. Other desserts when I'm in his garden are grape, mulberry, pumpkin, and butternut squash leaves around the corner, as well as chard with roses, nasturtiums, marigold, mums, hollyhock and geraniums on the side. Up the hill a spineless opuntia cactus. He pretty much just forages and follows me around waiting for me to drop something. I guess you can tell I made my front yard into HIS habitat.
Damn.....these guys eat healthier than me ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You feed the spines to your tortoises?
All 12 of my varieties are "spineless". Some of them do produce a few tiny little spines on some of the pads, but the tortoises can just eat them with no problem. For several years now I've been feeding buckets of cactus pads to all species and all ages, including hatchlings.

All of them do produce those little micro glochids, but again, the tortoises just eat them with no issues whatsoever.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Today my kiddos were fed endive, escarole, radicchio, cilantro, wild lettuce, mushrooms and OG mazuri, a whole assortment of Kapidolo 'sprinkles' as i call it lol, calcium powder and some cantaloupe added to chi chi's and grass added to Ghidos. They get a pellet or 2 a day of mazuri instead of one big day with it.
20200720_112843.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I feed different items separately all day. These are some of today's offerings.Picture 001.jpg Grape, mulberry, dandelion, and violet leaves. Purslane, wild wandering jew, cactus fruit, yesterdays ROS blooms, thistle, wild lettuce and later today will pick some clover, cactus pads raspberry leaves and offer some mazuri as a last item before they settle in for the night.