What if tortoises could swim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Okay I know many tortoises can swim, but check this guy out. He's a peninsula cooter (all 10 grams of him) that was getting pummeled in a tank full of sliders twice his size and with twice the attitude. Somewhat of an impulse/rescue buy. Anyway, they are supposed to be carnivorous when young, but he won't look at earthworms, pill bugs, etc. I planted his aquarium with anacharis, penny wort and duck weed, which he will graze on in a very deliberate, tortoise like manner, but I have no nutritional info on. So tonight while feeding my redfoot, I took some dandelion, arugala, and a squash flower pinched together and sunk in a binder clip. Viola, underwater tortoise grazing!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376620946.504968.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Feed them like you would a red foot lots of greens, and every once in a while add some protein (pellets).

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
No interest in pellets of any sort yet. I've never been around such a methodical and mellow water turtle before. Any ideas on how to add calcium? Powder is obviously not an option :)

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas.

Anthony- I'll keep offering ZooMed and Mazuri and see what happens. He's easy to feed but considering the growing he's got ahead of him (he's 3.4 cm with 35 cm in the future) I want to make sure he's getting the right nutrients.

Are Pseudemys typically mellow and tame throughout life ?

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
They are carnivorous so try live feeder fish. Most eat them right away. My painteds loved them but they can make a mess.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have mosquito fish in with my Reeves turtle (picture painted turtle appetite combined with box turtle swimming ability :). Not only can't he catch them, on occasion they will take his ZooMed from him. Wallace (the peninsula ) doesn't pay the slightest attention to fish. At least not yet

While I'm rambling, anyone have any pH reccomndations?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He's a peninsula cooter (all 10 grams of him) that was getting pummeled in a tank full of sliders twice his size and with twice the attitude. Somewhat of an impulse/rescue buy.

Red Ear Sliders can cause great stress and physical damage..they are a frenzy type turtle with a highly tenacious personality....are you going to set up a better enclosure for this turtle? I would be concerned about its well being..especially if you rescued the turtle--you don't know its history--there also should be a quarantine period, you would not want to make your current turtles ill...right.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
He's got a 50 gallon aquarium to himself with max water depth of 8 inches and shallows at both ends. Basking site is 90F under MVB. It is heavily planted with anacharis, penny wort, sword plant and duckweed. Filter is rated to cycle entire volume about every 15 minutes. Other than changing out the greens he's eating and weekly partial water changes I hadn't anticipated modifications. What could I do to improve his enclosure? Any suggestions apprecited!

Status
Not open for further replies.