What if you can't rerelease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
I found a box turtle a major road with no real woods around, just other roads and houses. I know you should relocate them because of their homing instinct, but I couldn't leave him there either. Oddly enough my best friend found one the next day on another major road also surrounded by houses, no woods. We are in NJ and you aren't suppose to take turtles from the lid, but these 2 major roads are hardly highway. I have an outdoor turtle enclosure they are in right now, but it's the same enclosure my Russian tortoise uses during the day. Can we relocate them to a nice wooded area or...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi dreamwallaby:

Welcome to the Forum!!

That's a bit of a conundrum, isn't it. I know that box turtles are protected in New Jersey, but is this particular type of box turtle native and protected? It may be that these turtles were someone's pets that have escaped. In my opinion, you should try to find a qualified turtle rescue and turn them both over to them, letting them know exactly where the turtles were found.

I hope you stick around. We have quite a few steppe (Russian) tortoise keepers on the forum, and you would fit right in.

What would you like us to call you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. Turn them over to a rescue. They either were wild caught and got out or were let go and they are trying to get back to their original home, or someone lost them. I read that turtles and tortoises will travel miles and days, months, years, to get back to where they were taken from. Chances are they won't make it in your area if let go. I also would get them out of your Russians enclosure. They could spread diseases. Make sure you clean up any poop from them before putting your tort in the enclosure.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I'd vote for turning them into a rescue as well. Sounds like a possible escapee to me.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses. We have one rescue/refuge out here that I know of. I am going to give them a call. I think they had 10 boxies in their enclosure last I was there. They are both def. native but the one I found has a scar on its back where the shell was caved in and healed. It's also not timid at all, acts like it recognizes people as a source of food, diesnt hide in the shell when you pick it up etc.. Def someone had it and maybe had rehabbed it from the injury and it got away or was set loose.
Stacy
I still have to set up my profile :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Rescue is always a good choice. Especially with urban areas, and possible pets being lost.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Yeah I had one brought to me last week that was almost hit by a school bus in Baltimore city. You are right unfortunately Terrapene generally are matrilocal ( living in the same general area as where their mother laid their eggs) with the exception of transients or wanderers which never seem to establish home ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.