What is a good diet for a juvenile greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGShell

5 Year Member
Hi Everybody,

I recently adopted a juvenile golden greek tortoise (6 in from head to tail). I'm reading conflicting information regarding their diet. This first week that I've had Sheldon I've been feeding him romaine, green lettuce, carrots, a bit of broccoli, and occasionally some fruit. However, I'm now suplementing his diet with wheat grass, hibiscus flowers, and edible flowers that I purchased from Whole Foods.

1. Is this diet fit for a golden greek tortoise (juvenile)?
2. Do I need to soak him every once in a while?
3. I noticed when he urinated he let out a white creamy texture substance. It only happened once, but does this indicate anything about his diet?
4. How do I prevent pyramiding?

Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
1. Eliminate the fruit, limit broccoli, add more lettuces (spring mixes are great), add some weeds if you can, and it's always nice to offer a processed food like mazuri or zoomed's Grassland Torotise pellets occasionally. The diet they get as juvies should be the same as what they have as adults.
2. You should soak him everyday.
2. It's called urates, and perfectly normal. Do a search.
4. Pyramiding is likely caused by many different things, but keeps him well hydrated, warm and feeding him the correct diet should do the trick.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
1. I give my Greek combinations of spring mix baby lettuces, mustard greens, collard greens, green leaf lettuce, dandelion, thistle, and zoo med grassland tortoise pellets(soaked first). Weather permitting I out her out in the yard and she will eat whatever she wants
2. I soak mine 20-30 minutes everyday in warm water.
3. The pyramiding thing is debatable. In my opinion probably caused by dehydration, poor diet, lack of UVB, and not enough exercise. You can search "pyramiding" on here and find tons of info on the subject.
What species Greek do you have? I always love seeing pictures. Hope this helps

whughes

5 Year Member
California
colatoise said:
1. I give my Greek combinations of spring mix baby lettuces, mustard greens, collard greens, green leaf lettuce, dandelion, thistle, and zoo med grassland tortoise pellets(soaked first). Weather permitting I out her out in the yard and she will eat whatever she wants
2. I soak mine 20-30 minutes everyday in warm water.
3. The pyramiding thing is debatable. In my opinion probably caused by dehydration, poor diet, lack of UVB, and not enough exercise. You can search "pyramiding" on here and find tons of info on the subject.
What species Greek do you have? I always love seeing pictures. Hope this helps

Colatoise,
How do/did you get your tortoise to eat those zoo med grassland pellets? I tried so hard when I first got my guy, but he was NOT having any of it! I even tried to mix in fruit and stuff, but still no dice :(
What container do you soak her in? Do you keep changing out the water to keep it warm? My guy gets tired of his soak after a few minutes or so - he'll poop or urate and then he'll start climbing out/looking for the next thing to do.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
whughes said:
Colatoise,
How do/did you get your tortoise to eat those zoo med grassland pellets? I tried so hard when I first got my guy, but he was NOT having any of it! I even tried to mix in fruit and stuff, but still no dice :(
What container do you soak her in? Do you keep changing out the water to keep it warm? My guy gets tired of his soak after a few minutes or so - he'll poop or urate and then he'll start climbing out/looking for the next thing to do.

For the pellets I soak them until they break apart and are soft. I don't recommend feeding a Greek fruit. I just mix it in with some green leaf lettuce or her collard greens. For soaking I use a large approx. 6 in deep plastic tub. I put her in first and gently pour warm water over until it barely covers the bottom of her shell. When the water starts to cool I just pour a little more and repeat for about 25-30 minutes.

whughes

5 Year Member
California
colatoise said:
whughes said:
Colatoise,

For the pellets I soak them until they break apart and are soft. I don't recommend feeding a Greek fruit. I just mix it in with some green leaf lettuce or her collard greens. For soaking I use a large approx. 6 in deep plastic tub. I put her in first and gently pour warm water over until it barely covers the bottom of her shell. When the water starts to cool I just pour a little more and repeat for about 25-30 minutes.

Fantastic, thank you!

Aretino

5 Year Member
I keep the basking light aimed at her "pond," which tends to keep it warm. I put in fresh warm water every morning, and she is often waiting to get right in. I may change it during the day if it becomes too turbid. Dinette will get into the pond whenever she feels like during the day. I also keep a damp sponge in her hide.

I've never been able to get her to show any interest in Mazuri, which is primarily grasses. She seems to be a leafy green girl.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I soak mine in warm water in a kitty litter pan - the sides are high enough that they can't climb out, and I fill the water to a height where the top and bottom shell meet (the 'seam'). My tortoises usually poop and release urates in the first 10 or so, so I dump that out into the compost bucket (it's great for your garden!), and then refill it with fresh warm water. That lasts for another 10-15 mins.

One of my tortoises hates the soak - she spends the entire time trying to get out. The others relax. They all need it.

whughes said:
Colatoise,

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
biochemnerd808 said:
I soak mine in warm water in a kitty litter pan - the sides are high enough that they can't climb out, and I fill the water to a height where the top and bottom shell meet (the 'seam'). My tortoises usually poop and release urates in the first 10 or so, so I dump that out into the compost bucket (it's great for your garden!), and then refill it with fresh warm water. That lasts for another 10-15 mins.

One of my tortoises hates the soak - she spends the entire time trying to get out. The others relax. They all need it.

I use a kitty litter pan too!

Matthew Bounpraseuth

5 Year Member
Colatoise,
[/quote]

I soaked them and broke them up over water cress & mustard greens and my greek boog liked them :)

Colatoise,
[/quote]

I soaked them and broke them up over water cress & mustard greens and my greek boog liked them :)

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
Matthew Bounpraseuth said:
Colatoise,

Colatoise,
[/quote]

I soaked them and broke them up over water cress & mustard greens and my greek boog liked them :)[/QUOTE]

At first I would soak the pellets in water and sprinkle over greens. Lately I put the pellets in a food processor to break them down and put in a freezer bag with moist greens, shake up the bag and then feed. This seems to work better. When soaking I now use a smaller Tupperware container and just change the water if she "uses the bathroom" in it. This keeps the water warm and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.