What Is Normal With Hermann's Tortoise Feeding?

Location (City and/or State)
Redwood City
Hi everyone, if you've seen my last thread, you'll know I my name is Omer, and that I just recently received my pet tortoise, Penny. She's a couple months old, and shows normal behavior. She hides, and burrows, and soaks, and drinks, and exercises, but when it comes to eating she's quite on the picky side. I've tried feeding her parsley, kale, weeds and flowers, carrot, and cucumber, but all she ever eats is romaine lettuce. Some people have suggested to steadily lower her lettuce content, but nevertheless, she still eats only the lettuce. I am afraid to take out the lettuce completely, for I fear she will not eat, and starve. This is very urgent, as she has just started to show more dramatic growing, and I am not a fan of pyramiding. Please, if anyone can help, it would mean the world to me(and yes, I will try to feed different things if you're gonna say that).

Thanks,
Omer

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Call the breeder and ask what they used to start the baby right after it hatched. Try to duplicate that at first. This is why it is so important to buy from a breeder who introduces lots and lots of new foods to the tiny hatchlings for their first few weeks.

To add new foods, mince up a tiny amount of the new stuff super fine. Wet the pile of chopped romaine with a water sprayer. Mix in the tiny amount of new stuff so that it is all over the romaine, but it should only make up 1-5% of the whole pile. Keep offering this daily until the tortoise eats it. Gradually, over time, up the ratio of new stuff to old. Don't rush. You've got decades to get it done.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. It is not caused by food.

Redwood City
Thanks so much, Tom! I am not sure she will eat those super fine pieces though. It seems as if she likes climbing on top of her food pile and eating little rips. Also, i'll see what other greens she might like. Would leftover celery leaves make a good treat?

Redwood City
@Tom I believe i've fixed my problem! I ran out of lettuce yesterday, so I gave Penny a non-spinach, store bought salad mix, and she devoured it! Today, when I gave her some along with the lettuce she didn't even touch the lettuce! I'll keep you updated though.