What is on my painted turtles shell is this shell rot?

Turtleloverboy

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
B8A76240-1D37-4D0B-8DFA-9FEB3EBFF3E4.jpeg
I’m not gonna lie he smells a little off compared to my other turtles I checked his shell and he doesn’t seem to have shell rot besides the funky smell. He’s basking a lot which is great cause I think his previous owners used a heating bulb instead of a uvb. I read I could put iodine on it is this true or will it naturally fade. I have another turtle a western painted and he’s only three and much bigger than this 7 year old painted turtle and never had him look like this. This guy is in a 75g properly heated and a good diet is very maintained that’s why I’m guessing it was a lighting problem but I really don’t know I’m not super experienced

Attachments

• ABDD5AD3-709B-448A-B58C-584766928434.jpeg
    ABDD5AD3-709B-448A-B58C-584766928434.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 0EFB155B-D765-4285-9E99-AD5A12EF9BA9.jpeg
    0EFB155B-D765-4285-9E99-AD5A12EF9BA9.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't know if its fungus or not.
How clean is that water?
We have other members that can answer your issue. Or say for sure if you have one.
I think everything looks fine.

Turtleloverboy

New Jersey
How clean is that water?
We have other members that can answer your issue. Or say for sure if you have one.
I try to run my finger nail across it cause I don’t want to really scrub it but it doesn’t come off in case it was a mineral problem. The smell is what really throws me off cause it just smells dirty musty not really rottish. The tank is cleaned every month or few weeks it’s a fluval canister filter with carbon and media and water is always crystal clear and treated with dechlorinator

Turtleloverboy

New Jersey
How clean is that water?
Also thanks for the reply so fast! I’ve been trying to get this figured out for 3 days on Reddit and they don’t even respond lol!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
View attachment 336224
I’m not gonna lie he smells a little off compared to my other turtles I checked his shell and he doesn’t seem to have shell rot besides the funky smell. He’s basking a lot which is great cause I think his previous owners used a heating bulb instead of a uvb. I read I could put iodine on it is this true or will it naturally fade. I have another turtle a western painted and he’s only three and much bigger than this 7 year old painted turtle and never had him look like this. This guy is in a 75g properly heated and a good diet is very maintained that’s why I’m guessing it was a lighting problem but I really don’t know I’m not super experienced
Hello,
Is he shedding any of the scutes? It looks like when a turtle's shell starts to shed and they have water bubbles under them before coming off ( in the picture with him in the water). I am NOT an expert at all, but just a thought.