What is Our stance on housing turtles in pairs?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Nope...still stand with my comment that the folks on the forum are not an "our"...we are all individuals.

Cool. I am happy that you now understand what you say you initially misunderstood....settled then right?

Condescending....nope, did not ever think or feel that when posting...I am sad to hear that you "heard" my comment that way. So to answer you, No, I dontcha think? I am a pretty direct person and would have made certain to be condescending had I tried to be :)

Ah. Seems I misunderstood again. Maybe I shouldn’t post when I’m tired ;)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ah come on now....don't be hard on yourself....we are all individuals with our own personalities and you should just do what you do....I mean, I am good :) You?

I dunno, it’s 2:00 AM here, and you have no idea how many typos I’ve made and barely corrected. Posting at night is never a good idea for me lmao

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sometimes the most raw moment says the most.....:)
Techno, my first name is Angela...may I get your first name? It is just a thing for me, to properly address a person in conversation....I mean, it is my hang up so I understand if you don't want to share :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm not sure about other turtles besides sliders, but I think sliders can do well as pairs or in a group if they are housed in a large enough enclosure and this usually cannot be done in a tank. Of course there will always be a circumstance where one individual needs to be housed alone because for whatever reason they cannot get along. My sliders actually seem to be very social, and actually really seem to enjoy each other's company. They are juveniles with my biggest being about 5". I have seen fluttering, and mounting attempts but it hasn't gone past that yet. No actual fighting or biting. I am moving them into a larger enclosure, probably a small pond very soon though and plan to monitor their behavior closely.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Techno, my first name is Angela...may I get your first name? It is just a thing for me, to properly address a person in conversation....I mean, it is my hang up so I understand if you don't want to share :)

My name is Macy :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm not sure about other turtles besides sliders, but I think sliders can do well as pairs or in a group if they are housed in a large enough enclosure and this usually cannot be done in a tank. Of course there will always be a circumstance where one individual needs to be housed alone because for whatever reason they cannot get along. My sliders actually seem to be very social, and actually really seem to enjoy each other's company. They are juveniles with my biggest being about 5". I have seen fluttering, and mounting attempts but it hasn't gone past that yet. No actual fighting or biting. I am moving them into a larger enclosure, probably a small pond very soon though and plan to monitor their behavior closely.

I agree. On Reptile amino, where we have A LOT of people with turtles(usually taken from the wild or bought from a pet store after doing no research), and our general rule of thumb is to not House turtles together unless they’re in a pond or extremely large, pond sized enclosure.

Krazyturtlelady

South Carolina
Again I am no expert but I think the big difference is captive vs. wild. I have observed groups of painted and sliders basking together at ponds. I do not have much experience observing a lot of captive bred aquatic turtles in group situations. That is why it is so important to know where a turtle came from when purchasing. Box turtles are abundant as well where I live but never see them in groups. I think it comes down to specific circumstance for each individual. I know there should be a "rule of thumb" here but I think there are also exceptions to the rule. Just my opinion.